One: Chance Encounter

[Barcelona, Spain]

"Ilegas tarde!" ang bungad sa akin ni Catalina pagkapasok na pagkapasok ko ng kitchen.

I was late for the event so she's obviously mad at me.

"I know, I know. Lo lamento," I said sorry as I hurried to put on my apron.

She was telling me instructions in Spanish, I kept nodding while I fixed myself.

"Go!" she said as she gave me a little push on my waist without having to wait for me to get totally ready.

I had no choice but to get out of the kitchen right away.

"Oh, you're here!" One of the bartenders, Sebastian, said in his thick accent when he saw me.

"I was five-minute late, Catalina was basically fuming!"

"She's basically mad at everyone. That doesn't make you special!" He winked at me before he handed me a tray full of drinks.

I chuckled. "Well, I guess, you're right. Gracias, Sebastian!" I grabbed the tray from the counter.

Ilang minuto lang at nakikipagsiksikan na ako sa mga naroroon. The venue was jam-packed with guests of different nationalities. Paroo't parito din ang mga service crew na katulad ko, serving food and drink of all sorts.

Everyone was all eyes on the man who was talking in front. He looked like he's presenting something.

Guapo ito kahit mula sa malayo. He was tall, probably a six-footer. He's wearing a white turtleneck undershirt topped with a blue overcoat. His hair was neatly combed. It was toffee brown colored, which I think is not natural because he looked Asian.

He looked young. Like probably in his late twenties. At mukha itong mabango.

I shook my head to drive the crazy thoughts away. Why would I describe someone as "mukhang mabago"? Crazy me.

He's wearing a pair of glasses which, surprisingly, do not give him a nerdy look. It actually made him look... uhmm, hot?

And the way he cracked jokes every now and then is something, too. Like everyone in the event looked so serious. Na para bang bawal tumawa o ngumiti man lang.

But the man on the stage is different. He would crack a joke once in a while which would make everyone laugh. He's definitely a breath of fresh air in this well, uhm, boring event.

Well, for all of these tech-savvy people here, the event is far from being boring. We're at probably the largest app design and development conference in the world. App designers and developers from all parts of the world gather to talk about the most incredible and innovative applications. Na hindi ko maintindihan for most parts. It's like they're speaking a different language.

I went on with my task of handling everyone their finger food and drinks. I did nothing for the next two hours but to serve guests.

Delegates would take turns in getting on stage to present their respective apps. Hindi ko na napansin kung nasaan na 'yong lalaking nagpi-present kanina. I am not even sure if he was still in the venue.

My feet started to feel sore dahil sa walang tigil na kakaparoo't parito. Idagdag pang wala pa akong pahinga. I had a busy day at the university, today. My schedule was full but I just couldn't say no to this part-time job offer. Sayang din naman kasi ang kita. Pandagdag ipon din.

I was carrying a tray of drinks when someone bumped into me. He just came out of nowhere. Mabilis ang mga pangyayari, ni hindi ko siya napansin. Before I knew it, he already bumped into me, spilling the drinks on the tray I was carrying on his clothes.

"Fuck." Narinig kong mahinang saad nito.

And to my surprise, it was the same man I saw presenting in front earlier. Yung matangkad na guapo na mukhang mabango.

Well, hindi lang pala ito mukhang mabango. He actually smelled good. Hindi ko alam kung anong cologne ang gamit nito but it surely smelled expensive and manly.

But his cologne brand is the least of my priorities right now. I stared at his clothes in horror, looking at his now stained undershirt.

He was holding his phone right next to his ear. He was probably busy talking to someone kaya hindi ako nito napansin.

"I'm so sorry," I said as my eyes kept going back and forth to his face and his wine-stained clothes.

He just threw me a darting look before he went away without even saying anything.

I was relieved. The fact na hindi niya ako pinagalitan, medyo nakahinga ako ng maluwang.

But then again naisip ko, hindi ko naman kasalanan. Siya naman 'tong 'di tumitingin sa dinadaanan.

"Are you okay?" narinig kong tanong ng isa sa mga kasamahan kong waitress.

"Yup, I'm good. No worries," I said as I bent down to clean up the mess on the floor. Spilled drinks, broken glass and all. 'Di ko alintana ang iilang pares ng mga matang nakatingin sa akin.

One more hour and I excused myself for my much needed bathroom break. Pakiramdam ko'y puputok na ang aking pantog.

Pagkatapos kong umihi at habang nasa may hallway na ako at naglalakad na sanang pabalik ng event hall nang makaramdam ako ng pagkahilo.

Napahawak ako sa may dingding sabay dahan-dahang upo. Tumalungko ako sa sahig.

I barely slept last night because I had to study for an exam. At pagkatapos ng walong oras na straight na klase, kailangan kong dumeretso dito para rumaket.

I took some deep breaths to calm myself down. I massaged my sore legs a bit, too, before I pulled myself up. I was about to leave the place when I heard someone talking aloud. Boses lalaki.

"Are you serious? Did they actually do that? Fuck. Sa tingin n'yo ba mapapauwi n'yo ako sa ginagawa n'yong 'yan? 'Di na ako bata, for Pete's sake! What were you thinking?"

He was talking in Filipino. Napatda ako. I got curious about who it was.

I mean, it's not everyday that I hear someone talking in Filipino here. Hearing someone speak my native language brought a different kind of comfort.

Curiosity got the best of me. And before I knew it, I was already taking small steps to where the voice was coming from.

Sisilipin ko lang naman.

Ngunit ang plano kong pagsilip ay 'di natuloy nang bigla na lang lumabas ang nagmamay-ari ng boses na iyon mula sa pinagkakakublian nito.

"I told you, I won't ---" Natigil ito sa pagsasalita nang magtama ang aming mga paningin.

We were both shocked.

But what shocked me more is the fact that he was the same man I bumped into earlier. Nakapagpalit na ito ng undershirt, I noticed.

"Who are you?" he asked while holding my gaze. "No not you," anito sa kausap sa telepono. "I need to go. Will call you back later." And he slid his phone to his pocket.

"Who are you?" he asked me again.

At sa kadahilanang hindi ko maintindihan, pakiramdam ko'y biglang nanginig ang aking mga tuhod. It must be something on the way he stared at me. He looked mad. Parang nangangain.

"S-sorry. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. Medyo na-excite lang kasi ako nang marinig kong may nagtata-Tagalog," I said in a shaky voice.

"You're a Filipino?" he asked.

I excitedly nodded. I really thought he'll be happy to meet another Filipino in the event pero biglang kumunot ang noo nito. He didn't look happy to meet me.

And to my surprise, he suddenly grabbed both of my shoulders .

"Are you following me? Sinong nag-utos sa'yo na sundan ako? Tell me." He was holding both of my shoulders firmly.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him, shocked.

But to surprise me even more, he suddenly grabbed me by the hand and started to drag me somewhere.