Sixty-Nine: Missing Louie

[Beijing, China]

"Are you okay?" narinig kong tanong ni Mei. I raised my head and was welcomed by a pair of concerned eyes.

"I'm okay," ang mahina kong wika bago ibinalik ang aking mga mata sa screen ng laptop na nasa aking harapan.

We were at ThinkSoft, inside Louie's office. I was doing some reports with her assistance. There's still so much I need to learn. Thanks to her patience, I am learning little by little. 

"Nope, you don't look okay," anito. Mukhang wala talaga akong balak tantanan.

"I just slept late last night. Other than that, I'm all fine," I lied.

It's been a week since I was back here in Beijing. And nope, I haven't talked to Louie yet since I got back here. 

I have no idea if he has his phone with him now. I still couldn't get hold of him so probably no. Everytime I try to call him, I am getting redirected to his voicemail.

Tanging si Alexandria lang ang nakakausap ko. The last time we talked, ang sabi nito'y kapag nagtuloy-tuloy ang recovery ni Louie, pwede na itong lumabas ng ospital sa mga susunod na araw. 

"He's okay, stop worrying too much about him," Alexandria said the last time we talked on the phone. "Worry about yourself instead. You're having a baby, you can't put yourself in so much stress."

Yes, I am six-weeks pregnant. At tanging ako at si Alexandria lang ang nakakaalam tungkol doon.

When I fainted in the hospital right after I last visited Louie, Alexandria insisted that I have myself checked. Hindi ito pumayag na umalis kami ng ospital nang hindi ako nagpapa-checkup.

And to confirm my fear, I learned that yes, I am actually pregnant. It took me a few minutes to fully grasp what the doctor had told me --- that I am, indeed, carrying Louie's child. And when it finally sunk in, I cried for only God knows how long. I just cried and cried as I tried to process the overwhelming information.

There were mixed emotions. Yes, I am happy. This is not part of the plan but the thought that I am carrying a little human being --- who’s half of me and half of Louie --- made my heart swell with so much happiness. Yet it also doesn't stop me from feeling so scared.

The last few days were crazy. With everything that happened and still happening, I don't think this is the right time to tell Louie that I am pregnant.

So I begged Alexandria not to tell anyone about my situation, especially Louie.

"You still have to tell Louie, whether you like it or not," she said.

“I know, Alex. I know,” I agreed. “I’m telling him, of course. Just not now. I don’t think this is the right time to break the news to him. He’s going through an awful lot right now, ayokong dagdagan yung mga iniisip niya,” sabi ko. “Just let me handle this, okay? I’ll tell him when I find the right timing.”

“Yeah, of course,” narinig kong sagot ni Alexandria. I could almost imagine her rolling her eyes. “It’s not like I am gonna break the news to him myself."

“I’m sorry, Alex. I didn't mean to make it sound that way,” I said. “It’s just that —”

“Enough, Aera. Enough, okay?” she said, cutting me off. “I know what you’re trying to imply. Stop stressing yourself out, gawd.”

“Thank you, Alex. For everything.”

“And stop thanking me, for Pete’s sake! It’s getting into my nerves already,” anito. “Look, I gotta. I know you’re going through a lot right now, too. But, gurl, you really need to take care of yourself. Especially in your condition right now.”