Nineteen: The Honeymoon

[Bali, Indonesia]

I looked around me, everyone’s having so much fun.

It was already dark. I’m here at a bar along the beach, drinking my piña colada alone while enjoying the music from the DJ who's doing the live spinning.

Iniwan ko si Louie sa hotel. He was busy. He has had his nose buried on the laptop since the moment we got here. 

Dumating kami kagabi. We flew in a private plane. 

We got the best accommodation. We were staying in one of the most expensive resort hotels here in Bali. We had a huge villa all to ourselves. It was grand, stylish and private. We even have a huge private pool. 

Na mukhang hindi naman mai-enjoy ni Louie dahil wala na itong ibang ginawa mula nang dumating kami dito kahapon kundi ang magtrabaho. Either he’s on his laptop or he’s talking with someone on the phone.

He didn’t even join me for dinner last night. The hotel prepared a complimentary full-course meal for us when we got here. 

“You go ahead, I’ll just follow,” sabi nito.

Pero natapos na lang akong kumain, hindi ito sumunod. When I went inside the villa, he was still on his laptop. 

Hindi ko na inabala. I just went to sleep in my room. It was a very long day and I was so tired. 

Pagkagising ko kaninang umaga, nasa laptop na naman ito. I wasn’t even sure if he was able to sleep last night.

Ewan ko ba sa lalaking ‘yon, nagpunta lang yata dito sa Bali para magtrabaho.

Bahala siya basta ako, mag-i-enjoy.

First time ko kaya dito sa Indonesia. Parang dati, pangarap ko lang makapag-Bali. But now, I’m finally here. So I’m gonna enjoy my stay here. 

I am on my third glass of cocktail drink. I was sipping it slowly while enjoying the soft, cold breeze from the sea. 

Everything was loud and cheerful. The music. The laughter. And surprisingly, it was bringing a calming effect on me. 

Hindi kasi ako ma-party na tao. I don’t usually go to bars. But since I am on a vacation right now, mag-i-enjoy ako. 

“Are you enjoying the night?” ang sigaw nung DJ na nagsi-spin sa stage.

Nakisigaw na din ako ng “yes!” 

“I am sorry to interrupt the fun but I just wanna make a very dear friend happy tonight! Are you in for a surprise?” ang muling sigaw nung DJ. 

Sigawan ang mga naroroon. 

Then the music went dead. The disco lights stopped. And the spotlight suddenly focused on a man standing in a corner. He’s holding a huge bouquet of flowers. 

The crowd gasped. 

It took me a while to realize what was happening. 

He’s going to propose to his girlfriend! 

The DJ brought the mic to the man. 

Tinanggap naman ito nung lalaking may hawak na bouquet. 

“Uhmm, good evening, everyone! I’m sorry to interrupt the party,” anang lalaki sa mic. “But I just wanna ask someone special a very important question tonight.”

Hiyawan ang mga naroroon.

I looked for his girlfriend among the crowd. And I found her right away. She was covering her mouth with both of her hands. She looked surprised and overwhelmed.

“Lana, we’ve been through a lot," her boyfriend started. "But you never gave up on me. On us. I can’t promise you paradise but as long as we're together, I promise to hold your hands forever. We will face every trial that comes our way together. Will you spend your forever with me?" The man went down on his knee. "Will you marry me, babe?"

Hiyawan ulit ang mga tao. 

And when the girl said "yes", the crowd got even wilder. Napuno ng cheer ang buong lugar.

Nakisigaw na din ako.

The couple kissed right before our very eyes. 

And only then did I notice that I was crying. 

Shucks, naloloka na yata ako, bakit ako umiiyak? Eh, hindi naman sa akin nag-propose? 

Natatawa na lang ako habang pinupunasan ang sarili kong luha. 

It must be the alcohol, I thought. 

The DJ went back to spinning. The music was up and loud again. The party continued. Everyone was happy.

I suddenly wanted to drink some more. Hindi naman talaga ako malakas uminom pero bigla-bigla ay parang gusto kong malasing.

Gosh, what is wrong with me? Parang masaya naman ako kanina, ah. Ta's biglang nalulungkot na ako ngayon.

Ewan ko ba, watching the marriage proposal earlier suddenly brought my mood down. Parang naisip ko lang, ni hindi ko man lang naranasan ang ganoon.

I didn't even get to experience falling in love and having someone propose to me like that. Ano kaya ang feeling ng ganoon?

Putek, naiiyak na naman ako.

"One more glass please," I said to the bartender. 

Imbes na magpaka-emo, mag-enjoy nalang ako. Tutal, eh, 'di naman ako ang magbabayad ng mga 'to.

Thirty more minutes and I started to feel dizzy. Tinamaan na yata ako. 'Di pa naman ganun kataas ang alcohol tolerance ko. 

"Mind if I join you?" someone from my back said.

I turned around and saw a good looking man standing right behind me. Mukhang hindi Asian. 

"No, feel free," sabi ko.

Mukha naman kasing mabait. 

"You alone?" He took the empty seat beside me.

"Yeah," sabi ko as I sipped from my drink.

"Actually this might sound creepy but I've been watching you since earlier. Something about you caught my attention. It must be the fact that you look, uhmmm, out of place."

Napabaling ako dito.

"Everyone looks happy. While you look, uhmm, lonely," he continued.

I smiled. Ganoon ba ako ka-transparent?

"Are you on a vacation?" he asked.

I nodded. Hindi ko naman kasi pwedeng sabibing nandito ako para mag-honeymoon.

"Alone?" He asked again while staring at me intently.

I was supposed to say "no" pero bigla kong naisip... yes, I am, in fact, alone.

May kasama nga ako pero 'di naman kami halos nag-uusap since we came here. So basically, I am here alone.

I slowly nodded. "Y-yup."

"Well, guess what? I am alone on this trip, too," anito. "You wanna explore the island with me? Perhaps we can go island hopping together. Or if you want, we can go surfing or snorkeling. I heard that you can even swim with the Manta Rays here."

"Ohhhh. That sounds fun," ang walang kagana-gana kong wika. 

"So? Are you in?" anito, smiling.

Sasagot na sana ako nang biglang may magsalita sa aking likuran.

"She can't. She's with me."

I turned around and was so shocked when I saw Louie standing right behind me. Nakakunot ang noo nito habang nakatitig doon sa lalaking kausap ko.

"Uhmm, you know him?" ang baling nung lalaki sa akin.

"She's my wife and we're here for our honeymoon." Si Louie ulit ang sumagot.

"What?" The man turned me. "Is that true?" He looked confused.

"I'm sor ---" I couldn't even finish my sentence because Louie started dragging me away.