Sixteen: Welcome Home

[Beijing, China]

"This is Mr. del Rosario's home office. And this here is his bedroom. While this is your room," ani Mei habang binubuksan ang pangatlong pintuan. 

The room was huge and stylish. Iyon agad ang una kong napansin. 

"Yes, you're going to use separate rooms even after you're married because as you may already know, he's an insomniac. He's a light sleeper. He couldn't really sleep when there's someone else in the room," ani Mei. 

"But as you can see." She went inside my bedroom. I followed her. "There are two doorways here. The first one leads to your personal bathroom while the second one..." She opened the second door at ang king-sized bed na nasa gitna ng mas malawak pang kwarto ang bumungad sa aking paningin. "Leads to Mr. del Rosario's bedroom. Yes, this door connects your bedroom to his."

Shuta, ba't may connecting door? Pakiramdam ko'y biglang nag-init ang magkabila kong pisngi. I reminded myself to always lock the door.

"I believe I have already shown you everything," ani Mei habang nakatingin sa relo nito. "I'll be going now, I have a meeting first thing tomorrow. I need to catch some sleep. Please take some rest, too. If you need anything, you may call me or James. Mr. del Rosario is in an important meeting in Shanghai for two days so you might not be able to reach him until tomorrow night."

And just like that, she was gone. She left me alone in this huge penthouse apartment. 

Yes, Louie was living on the topmost floor of his own building. The building itself was tall and grand. May nakasulat na ThinkSoft DPD sa labas which is short for digital product development.

Mei led me inside the building and into the exclusive elevator that leads directly to the penthouse. 

It's 4 in the morning when we arrived here in Beijing because of the time difference  so there was no one in the building. To my relief.

Well, except for the guards. 

But Mei wasn't kidding when she said that there will be paparazzi waiting for us in the airport. Meron nga. To think na madaling araw na.

Hindi ko nga alam kung paano ko nalampasan ang mga 'yon. Pakiwari ko kasi'y naninigas ang aking mga paa ko habang naglalakad akong kasama si Mei sa may arrival area ng airport. 

"This is crazy," I said to Mei noong lulan na kami ng kotseng sumundo sa amin sa may airport. 

"What?" anito. Tila hindi alintana ang lahat, mukhang sanay na sanay siya.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to people following me around," I said. 

She looked at me. "Well, you better get used to it. You have barely just started."

And she was right. 

I couldn't sleep. Ilang oras na akong pabaling baling sa kama pero 'di talaga ako makatulog. The almost 11-hour flight was tiring but I just couldn't sleep. Must be because of the time difference.

I checked the time and it was past 6 in the morning. I stood up from the bed, put a robe over my pajamas and walked out of the bedroom door. 

Maghahanap lang ako nang makakain sa kusina. Nakakaramdam na kasi ako ng gutom.

Pero nagulat ako nang pagkalabas ko ng kwarto ay bumungad sa akin ang isang lalaking nakahiga sa may sofa sa may sala. Nakatalikod ito kaya 'di ko kita ang mukha. 

Naramdaman ko ang biglang pagkabog ng aking dibdib.

That couldn't be Louie, saisip ko. He's in Shanghai right now. He won't be back until tonight or tomorrow.

Nagpalinga-linga ako, naghanap ng pwedeng magamit pang-depensa sa sarili. 

May nakita akong may kalakihang vase kaya dali-dali kong dinampot iyon. Bitbit 'yon, dahan-dahan akong naglakad palapit sa may sofa.

I tiptoed to avoid making any sound and waking up whoever it was but the moment I came closer to him, he automatically turned to face me.

It was Louie! I was shocked.

Natuon ang mga mata nito sa hawak-hawak kong vase. I was holding it up high so I can easily smash it to him if ever he attacked me. 

"Are you planning to kill me?" anito.

Dali-dali kong ibinaba ang hawak na vase. 

"No, of course not! Akala ko kasi nasa Shanghai ka pa. Kaya akala ko may nakapasok na kung sino." I hurried to put the vase back to its original spot. 

Dahan-dahah itong bumangon at saka umupo. He looked really tired. He had bags under his eyes. Pero gwapo pa din ito. 

He looked so handsome even with his disheveled hair.

"Are you sleeping here?" I asked him.

He was still in his business suit. Tie and all.

"I was," anito. "But you woke me up."

"But why are you sleeping here?" sabi ko.

Kalaki-laki ng kwarto nito, bakit dito ito natutulog sa may sala?

"I was too tired," he said as he loosened his tie. 

"What time did you come home?"

He checked his expensive watch. "About an hour ago." 

"I'm sorry for waking you up. Why don't you go to your bedroom nang makatulog ka ulit," sabi ko. 

"Nevermind. I won't be able to go back to sleep now." Tumayo ito at saka naglakad papunta sa may kusina. 

I followed him.

"Ikaw? Ba't 'di ka pa natutulog? How was your flight?" anito habang nagsasalin ng warm water sa baso.

"I can't sleep. 'Di ko alam kung sa jetlag o dahil sa time difference," sabi ko. "Can I check the fridge for something to eat?"

"Go ahead," anito matapos uminom ng tubig. "I asked Mei to have someone stock the fridge and the pantry. Just tell me if you need anything more."

Binuksan ko ang ref, nagulat ako andaming instant microwave meals. Pati sa pantry.

"Bakit puro ganito pagkain mo? 'Di ka ba nagluluto?" I asked.

"That's for you. You don't know how to cook, right?" anito.

I chuckled. "My mom was exaggerating. I know how to cook. 'Di lang kasing sarap ng luto nya." 

I got one instant ramen and started to prepare it. 

"I'll have Mei bring you some more groceries then so you can cook."

"You want some ramen?" sabi ko.

Umiling ito. "Nope, I'm not hungry. I need to take a shower. I need to go back to Shanghai now."

"Di pa tapos 'yong meeting mo sa doon?"

"Nope."

"So why did you come home?" 

"Because you're coming."

"Ha? But why? I mean, you don't really have to do that."

"I just want to personally welcome you to your new home."

Your new home.

I'm suddenly feeling so soft.