Sixty-Eight: Not How I Imagined Things

My heart was beating hard against my chest as I followed Alexandria. We were heading to Louie's room. He was no longer in the ICU. Nilipat na ito ng kwarto.

The personal guards greeted us right away the moment we reached the location.

"Is he alone?" Alexandria asked.

"Yes po, ma'am. Sir Louie's alone inside," ang magalang na sagot nung isa sa mga guards.

"Go ahead, Aera," ang baling ni Alexandria sa akin. "I'll just wait for you here."

"Thank you," I said to her in an unstable voice. I was feeling emotional already.

The guard opened the door for me. I took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down before I went inside the room.

My heart felt like it was stuck in my throat the moment I saw Louie on the hospital bed. He was awake. Nakaupo ito sa bed, he looked like he's reading a book.

Agad itong nagtaas ng tingin nang marinig ang pagbubukas ng pintuan. Our eyes locked in an instant. I smiled wide. He didn't.

I heard the door close behind me. My eyes were fixed on Louie as I stepped towards his directions.

I saw as excitement flashed in his eyes the moment our eyes locked. Pero mabilis lang, agad din itong nawala. It was replaced by something I couldn't even read.

He doesn't look happy to see me. Bigla akong kinabahan.

"Hey, love. I'm glad you're awake now," I said almost in a whisper as I slowly approached him. My voice was slightly trembling as I tried to keep all my emotions at bay. Ayokong umiyak.

I saw his jaw move before he set the book he was reading aside.

"What are you doing here, Aera?" ang walang kangiti-ngiti nitong wika habang matamang nakatitig sa akin.

Agad na natigil sa paghakbang ang aking mga paa. I was only a couple of steps away from him. I could almost reach him. I've been dying to touch him and to hug him and to kiss him yet the coldness in his voice stopped me in my tracks.

He's not happy to see me. I am sure of that now.

"Louie ---"

"Didn't I tell you to stay in China?" he growled. The blandness in his tone caused a sudden sharp pain in the pit of my stomach.

"Louie, I'm so sorry. I was so worried about you. You were basically out for three days. God, you have no idea how worried I was." I took the last remaining steps.

I reached out for his hand and squeezed it right away. He flinched but he didn't take it back. I was expecting him to pull his hand away but thankfully, he didn't.

Hindi na ako nakatiis. I pulled him in a tight embrace.

"Ohmigod, I missed you so much," I said as I buried my face on the crook of his neck. "You have no idea how worried I was."

I hugged him as tight as I could. I was so scared this moment wouldn't come.

Hindi ito sumagot. He didn't even hug me back. But at least he's not pulling away from my embrace. Hinayaan lang ako nitong yakapin ito nang mahigpit.

I pulled away from him to cup his face.

"Thank you so much for fighting, love," ang sabi ko sa gumagaralgal na boses habang hawak-hawak ang magkabila nitong pisngi. "Thank you so much for coming back to us. To me."

Nakipagtitigan lang ito sa akin. He still has this blank expression on his face. His face was deadpan yet his eyes were dancing with so much emotion. It seems like he was having a lot of thoughts at the moment.