Fifty-Four: Diving Into His Deepest Emotions

I dragged myself from the elevator to the penthouse door. Kakaakyat ko lang from the office.

I checked the time on my wrist watch. It's past 10 in the evening already. May tinatapos ang team namin kaya panay overtime kami these past weeks.

It's tiring pero masaya naman. Especially when you see your dream project slowly turn into reality.

The lights automatically turned on the moment I opened the door to the penthouse. I went in, changed into slippers, and dragged myself inside the house.

Ramdam ko ang pagod today.

I still had no energy as I made my way into the house. I was planning to go straight to my room but I was shocked when I saw Louie sitting in the living room.

"What are you doing here?" bulalas ko. "I thought you're still in Shanghai."

Pakiramdam ko'y nawalang lahat ng pagod ko.

He just tapped on the empty space beside him, telling me to sit right next to him.

I took off my blazer and put it down on an empty chair, along with my bag.

"Akala ko ba sa weekend pa uwi mo? Are you done?" I said as I went over him and occupied the space right next to him.

He automatically put his arm around my shoulders.

"Nope. I'll be flying back to Shanghai first thing tomorrow."

"So why are you here?"

"Why? Aren't you happy to see me here?"

"Hindi naman pero kasi... 'di pa kamo kayo tapos doon. So I was just wondering why you came home."

May ininguso ito. Sinundan ko ng tingin ang direksyong tinuturo ng mga labi nito and I saw a small box on top of the center table.

I was so excited to see him earlier that I didn't notice it.

"What's this? A cake?" I was inspecting what's inside the box. "Bakit may cake? Kaninong birthday? Birthday mo?" I asked him.

"Are you serious?" he replied.

"Oh, wait." I checked the date on my phone. "Oh, shit! It's mine! Shucks, it's my birthday!"

Ganun na ba ako ka-busy para makalimutan ang sarili kong birthday?

Bahagya itong tumawa habang iiling-iling.

We've been so busy with the 'Love Bond' project for like six months now. Minsan pagkauwi ng penthouse, diretso bagsak na ako sa kama dahil sa sobrang pagod.

"But wait, technically it's not my birthday yet. Bukas pa," ang sabi ko dito.

"Nope. Wrong. It's your birthday in more than an hour," he corrected me.

"So you just went home to do a birthday salubong with me? Awwww." I hugged him tight.

I was so touched.

He planted a quick kiss on my hair.

"I won't be here tomorrow so we'll celebrate your birthday now," anito. "But I want you to go out with your team for dinner tomorrow. I'll have Mei book you somewhere nice."

"But I don't think we have time for that since ---"

He clicked his tongue to disagree. "That's an order."

"Okay, boss." I said, grinning.

Noon biglang tumunog ang door bell. I looked at him, confused.

"That must be the delivery. I ordered your favorite chicken and pizza," anito, rising from the couch to get to the door.