Eleven: Getting Ready

[Three days later]. 

Lumabas ako ng fitting room suot ang isang nude-tone cocktail dress at saka nagpaikot-ikot sa harapan ni Mei. She shook her head.

"Not this one, too?" I asked. Frustrated.

"Nah. Too plain and boring. Try that one," she pointed at another dress on the rack.

Agad naman itong kinuha nung isa sa tatlong sales clerk na nag-assist sa amin at saka ibinigay iyon sa akin. Mabigat sa loob na tinanggap ko ito.

I was about to head back to the fitting room when my phone rang from my bag.

"Just a moment," I said and checked who it was.

It was James. 

"Hello, James," I answered the call and went back inside the fitting room for some privacy.

"Hi! How's everything there?" anito sa kabilang linya.

"Please save me," I said to him, whispering.

"Why? What happened?" He sounded worried. 

"This Mei your boss sent me is driving me crazy."

Malakas itong natawa. "Why? Anong pinapagawa ni Mei sa'yo?"

"She's practically dragged me around the city for the past three days. She brought me to spas and to beauty salons! We even did yoga! And now we've been shopping for clothes for, I guess, six hours already. Nalibot na yata namin lahat ng luxury boutiques dito sa Barcelona. Are you sure she's not here to torture me and make me backout from the wedding?"

Muli itong natawa. "Nah, she was just doing her job."

"Bakit andami naming pinamiling damit para sa photoshoot? Daig pa namin ang gagawa ng brochure ng Avon, ah."

I heard him chuckle again. "You're funny."

"This is not funny anymore, James. Please save me," sabi ko. 

"Nah, you got it. I believe in you," he said. 

May mga sinabi pa ito bago ito nagpaalam.

I sighed in frustration after the call ended. Gusto ko lang namang matulog ng isang buong araw. Imposible ba 'yon?

I went out of the fitting room and was welcomed by another batch of clothes to try on. Parang gusto ko nang maiyak sa pagod.

"What do you want for dinner?" ang tanong sa akin ni Mei noong natapos na rin kami sa wakas at nasa sasakyan na kami. 

It was already dark outside. Literal na buong araw kaming nag-shopping. Ang dami naming pinamili. Parang 'di ko naman masusuot lahat sa photoshoot ang mga 'yon.

"Honestly, I'm too tired to go somewhere to eat. Can we just drop by at Subway so we can grab some burgers before you bring me back to my hotel?" sabi ko.

Wala. Gusto ko na talagang umuwi at humiga. 

"Seriously?" anito. She looked shocked. "Nah, you can't have unhealthy foods before the photoshoot. Actually, you can't have junk foods not even after the photoshoot. They're not healthy. You're a medical student, you should know that."

Pati ba naman comfort food ko, bawal na rin? Parang gusto ko nang maiyak. 

"We'll try this new restaurant two blocks from here. They serve the best seafood paella in town. You'll surely love it," anito.

Seriously, where is she getting all her energy? I thought as I stared at her. Parang 'di ito nauubusan ng lakas. 

We went to the restaurant that she mentioned earlier to have our dinner. Hindi na lang ako nakipagtalo nang matapos na. 

"Don't you like the food? You want me to order something else?" she asked when she noticed that I was picking up at my food.

"Nah, I'm good. I was just tired. I normally don't have an appetite after a busy day," I said. 

She stared at my face. 

I suddenly felt awkward.

"Why? Do I have dirt on my face or something?" I asked, running my hand through my face.

"No. I just realized this is the first time I am seeing you this close," she said.

"Were you curious about me?"

"Eversince the news broke out," she admitted. 

Her honesty surprised me.

"Actually everyone on ThinkSoft was curious about you?" she continued

"And may I ask why?" I asked. I was curious, too. 

"Maybe because Mr. del Rosario hadn't brought a woman to any of the company's events before. And suddenly here he is, involved in a dating scandal. And is actually getting married."

"You mean to say he hadn't had any girlfriend before?"

"There were rumors here and there but he didn't formally introduce anyone to the company."

"Not even his fiancée? I mean, his ex-fiancée back in the Philippines."

"We didn't even know that he was engaged to someone."

"Maybe he was just really private with his personal matters," I said.

"Probably," anito. "How long have you known each other, if you don't mind me asking?" 

Napatda ako. Hindi ko alam ang aking sasabihin.

Hindi ko naman pwedeng sabihing I've only known him for just two months. That would look suspicious. 

"You don't have to answer that," anito nang mahalatang alanganin akong sagutin ang tanong niya. "I'm sorry for asking such a personal question."

"No, it's okay," sabi ko. "Not that long, I must say."

"That must've been love at first sight."

"Hmm.. kind of," I said through clenched teeth.

More of hate at first sight, actually. 

"How was Louie as a boss?" I asked to divert the topic.

"Well, he's pretty workaholic. Very determined, as well. What he wants, he gets."

"I'm not surprised."

"But he's a good boss. He treats everyone fairly. He may appear cold at times but he's got a big heart for everyone," she said. 

Nagpatango-tango lang ako.

"And I am not just saying that just because you're his fiancée."

"Yeah, I know." I chuckled.

Mukhang makakasundo ko naman pala 'tong si Mei. Masarap naman pala itong kausap. Hindi lang naging maganda ang first impression ko sa kaniya pero bumabawi naman kahit na papano.

"What do you think of me?" I suddenly got curious.

"What do you mean?" anito. 

"I mean… as your boss'.... uhm, girlfriend… I mean fiancée. What do you think of me?"

It was awkward to ask that pero gusto ko lang namang malaman kung kapani-paniwala bang gusto ako ni Louie.

"Well, uhmmm…" She stared at me for a while as if pondering whether to be honest or not. "I must say that you are far from what I imagined to be of Mr. del Rosario's type? But I guess love's really unpredictable."

Pucha, 'di na lang sinabing 'di talaga kami bagay.

Tatanong-tanong ka ta's masasaktan ka kapag sinagot ka nang tapat? Okay ka lang, girl?