Twenty-Two: The Other Side of Him

Everything about the place is perfect. The weather, the white-sand beach, the turquoise water. Everything! 

Well, except for one thing, the man who was lying on the sun lounger right next to mine.

When Louie said that he wanted us to explore the beach together, hindi naman ako na-inform na tatambay lang pala kami sa may beach. As in literal na hihilata lang kami sa sun lounger.

Halos dalawang oras na kami dito pero ‘di man lang kami nag-uusap. 

Oh, we did. Once. When he told me we’re taking a couple of selfies together. That's the only time that he talked to me.

After that, ‘di na nito ako kinakausap. 

Yes, he didn’t bring his laptop with him. Surprisingly. 

He’s not on his phone, either. But he got his nose buried in the book he was reading since we got here. 

Ang boring lang kasama, ‘di ba? 

Kung pwede ko lang talaga ‘tong layasan, ginawa ko na. But no, I have to pretend that we’re a happy newly-married couple enjoying our honeymoon here in this paradise-like place. Para may makuha namang photos ang mga paparazzi. Just in case someone was following us here, na hindi malabo.

“Excuse me?” somebody said from my back. Boses lalaki. 

Napalingon ako. 

A huge man was standing right next to me, towering over me. I was still lying on my sun lounger. 

At dahil nasisilaw ako sa liwanag ng araw, ‘di ko maaninag nang mabuti ang mukha nito. But he sounded familiar. 

“Oh, it’s me, John. You know, from last night?” ang pagpapakilala nito noong nakakunot noo lang akong nakatingin dito.

Napabalikwas ako ng bangon. “Oh, hi!” I said. "I'm sorry I didn't recognized you right away."

Nakita kong biglang nagtaas ng tingin si Louie. It’s the very first time that he raised his head from the book he was reading.

“I was just strolling the beach when I noticed you,” ang sabi nung John. Kay Louie ito nakatingin. “I just wanted to apologize for last night. I didn’t know that... you know... she’s married ---” 

“Yes, she is,” ang mabilis na sagot ni Louie dito. 

“I hope I didn’t cause any problem between the two of you,” ang sabi pa nito. 

“Oh, no, of course you didn’t,” I said. “I’m sorry for causing some misunderstanding, too.” 

“We just had a little issue yesterday. You know, women,” Louie said. “So whatever she said to you last night wasn't true. She was just mad at me.”

Ay, wow! Ang galing gumawa ng kwento, ah! 

“Well, I hope you’re good now,” ang sabi nung John.

“Yeah, of course, we’re good. We’re fine. Thank you,” Louie said. 

“I’m glad to hear that,” John said. “I gotta go now. Sorry again for the trouble.”

“I’m sorry, too,” sabi ko. 

He just smiled at me before he walked away. 

Bumaling ako kay Louie. Nakakunot-noo ito habang pinagmamasdan ang paglayo nung John. Naiinis yata dahil naistorbo ang pagbabasa niya.

I heaved a deep sigh before I lied down again. 

Tuloy ang sunbathing, I thought as I covered my face with the straw hat.

I’m sure he’ll go back to what he was reading. 

“Actually,” I heard him say after a short while.

I took the hat off my face and opened my eyes to look at him. He was still holding the book but he wasn’t reading it this time. He was looking at me. 

“Do you wanna go parasailing?” he blurted out.

Feeling ko dinadaya ako ng aking pandinig. 

“What?” I asked, just to be sure that I heard him right.

“I’ve always wanted to try parasailing. Wanna come with me?" anito.

OMG! I heard him right! 

Napabalikwas ako ng bangon. “Yes, of course! Of course! Let’s go!” Hindi naman halatang masyado akong excited. 

He closed the book he was holding. 

Gosh, mukhang seryoso nga ito. Isang malaking himala! Parang gusto kong magbunyi.

“Let’s go back to the villa first to get changed,” anito. 

"Yes, of course! Of course!" 

At halos hindi ako magkumahog sa pagsuot ng aking tsinelas. Mahirap na, baka magbago pa ang isip nito.

“Aren’t you going to take them off?” anito noong nasa villa na kami. 

Katatapos ko lang magpalit ng damit. I was wearing a one-piece swimsuit topped with short board shorts.

Naka-rash guard naman ito pang-itaas which he also paired with board shorts. 

Namilog ang aking mga mata sa narinig. What did he just asked?

“Take off what?” I said. 

“Your rings. What else?” anito. 

“Ahhh, the rings. Yes, of course,” sabi ko. 

‘Yong engagement ring at wedding ring pala ang ibig nitong sabihin. Akala ko naman kung ano na. 

Kinabahan ako doon, ah. 

“Give them to me,” anito. “I’ll put them away for you.”

I took the rings off and handed them to him. He took them and went inside his room. 

Noong paalis na kami, I saw him talking to one of the resort’s staff. Ang tagal nila mag-usap, medyo na-bore nga ako kakahintay.

Ano bang pinag-uusapan ng mga 'to? saisip ko. Naghahanap lang yata 'to ng alibi para 'di matuloy ang plano naming mag-parasailing, ah.

But to my relief, natuloy naman. 

At first, I thought, ako lang ang magpa-parasail. That he will stay on the boat. Para kasing hindi ito 'yong tipo ng taong mahilig sa adventure. 

But to my surprise, he actually did join me. We actually parasailed together!

And what surprised me more was how he acted the whole time. 

"Woooooo! Woooo! Faster! This is so much fun!!!" Sigaw ito nang sigaw habang nasa ere kami.

He couldn't stop laughing so hard, as well. He looked like he was enjoying it a lot. Mukhang mas nag-enjoy pa nga ito kay sa akin. 

It was my first time to see that side of him. Akala ko puro na lang ito work. Marunong din naman pala itong mag-enjoy.

And I couldn't believe that he had that childish side of him. Parang napakalayo sa Louie na kilala ko. 'Yong laging nakakunot noo at subsob ang mukha sa laptop. 'Yong halos 'di ngumingiti at halos 'di mo makausap. 

I am seeing another side of him right now. Young and carefree. And I am actually loving it. It's a breath of fresh air to see this side of him.

It looked like he's not as boring as I thought he was.