Fifty-Three: The Love Bond

[Beijing, China]

"I really don't understand why they had to let her lead the project. Aside from the fact that she's Mr. del Rosario's wife, she absolutely has no background on app development."

Napatda ako sa gagawin ko sanang paglabas ng cubicle.

I'm here at ThinkSoft, here inside one of the cubicles of the ladies restroom. I just finished my business and was about to leave the cubicle when I heard some girls talking in Mandarin.

I am not that fluent in Mandarin yet pero kahit papano ay nakakaintindi na ako.

"I know, right?" said another girl. "Some of us have been working here for a few years already yet we've never given a chance to lead a project. That's kind of unfair."

"Exactly. Honestly speaking, you are far more qualified to handle that project than her."

"Not only that. I heard that the 'Love Bond' project needs a huge budget so it's kinda risky for the company to leave the project in the hands of someone who had absolutely no experience in the field."

"Exactly my worries. I get it that she's Mr. del Rosario's wife but still, that's too irresponsible of him to let his wife lead such a big project. That's very risky."

I heard the door to the restroom open before a familiar voice butted in the conversation.

"I understand all your concerns but I'm sure Mr. del Rosario knows what he's doing. We should learn to trust him," said the familiar voice in Mandarin.

I was 99% sure it was Mei.

I heard the other girls say sorry before they left the restroom.

I heaved a deep sigh before I came out of the cubicle.

Mei was startled when she saw me.

"Thank you, Mei," I said as I washed my hands in the lavatory.

"I'm sorry you have to hear that," she said.

"That's okay. I totally understand where they're coming from," I replied.

"Just don't take it personally."

I smiled and nodded. "Can I ask you a favor?"

"What is it?"

"Please don't tell Louie about today's incident."

She just threw me a pity look before she let out a deep breath.

But about one week later, during the company's monthly meeting where they gave updates about their existing and soon-to-be-launched projects, Louie called me up to join him at the center.

"Me?" I asked him, surprised.

At bakit naman ako pupunta sa harap?

"Yeah, come over here," he said in his usual authoritative tone.

I shook my head. "I'm... I'm good here."

"I need you to join me here," he commanded.

Louie has this intimidating aura when he gets really serious. His tone basically sent me on my feet.

I rose from my seat and walked to where he was standing. I kept my distance from him. It felt awkward having everyone's eyes on me.

Ano ba kasing binabalak ng lalaking 'to? 'Di ako prepared.

"Closer," he said to me.

Pinandilatan ko ito ng mga mata. But he only glared back at me. Natakot naman ako kaya dahan-dahan akong lumapit dito.