Eighteen: The Gift

“You’re here,” ang sabi ni Mei pagkabukas na pagkabukas nito ng pintuan ng hotel room kung saan ako kasalukuyang namamalagi in preparation for the wedding. 

It’s been hours since the ceremony ended. Pakiramdam ko’y naubos lahat ng energy ko sa katawan dahil sa walang tigil na pakikipag-usap sa mga guests. 

What’s even more tiring is the fact that I don’t know anyone there. Maliban kina Mei at James ay wala na akong ibang kilala.

It’s draining to greet and smile at everyone when you don’t really know them. They're all like random faces.

Every pair of eyes was on me. It’s like everyone was curious about me. Parang lahat nakabantay sa bawat galaw ko, trying to figure out kung anong nagustuhan ni Louie sa akin. It's like everyone's scrutinizing me.

And it's very tiring. Hindi ako sanay sa ganoong atensyon.

Kaya nang makahanap ako ng tyempo ay tumakas ako para bumalik sa inuukupang kwarto. 

I needed time to recharge myself. 

“Was Louie looking for me?” I asked Mei. 

“Nope, he wasn't. Actually it was me who was looking for you. And it was him who told me that you might be here,” anito pagkapasok ng silid. 

“Am I needed back there?” sabi ko.

“Nah, I think Mr. del Rosario can handle it all by himself. He actually told me to let you rest for now. You must be tired, he said.”

“And hungry,” I mumbled.

“Why? You didn’t eat anything? You didn't like the food at the reception?”

“No, it was fine. I just couldn’t eat. I was so nervous.”

She chuckled. “That’s pretty understandable. So what do you want? Let me order some room service for you.”

“I’m good with anything.”

“How about some garden salad?”

“Arghhh. Please no. It’s been a long day. Please give me some carb instead.”

Natawa ito. “Alright. I’ll get you some seafood pasta then. Would that be alright?”

“Sounds perfect.”

“Okay.” She went to the telephone and called for some room service. 

“Five minutes,” anito pagkababa ng telepono. 

“Thank you,” I said.

“You need help with your dress?” anito. 

“Can I change now?” sabi ko. 

Baka kasi kailangan ko pa ulit bumalik sa reception kaya hindi muna ako nagpalit ng damit. I am still wearing my wedding dress.

“Yeah, of course,” anito. “Wait, let me just get the clothes I prepared for you.”

She took something from my suitcase. 

“Here, you can wear this,” anito sabay lapag ng isang cocktail dress sa ibabaw ng bed na kinauupuan ko. 

“Isn't that too cold?" sabi ko. “Can I wear something more casual?”

“Don’t worry. It’s warmer in Bali,” anito. 

“Bali? You mean Bali, Indonesia?” I asked, confused. 

“Yup. You didn’t know?” 

“Didn’t know what?”