•Chapter 15• New Friends

"I'm not helping him," Valeria tells her friend. Serena lets out a quiet sigh. "Val, please, you have to." She said. The mermaid glared at the she-elf. "I don't have to do anything." She tells her sternly. Her blue eyes looked at Orlando. "I know who he is." She said. Serena looked at him for a short second. His slim figure and innocent brown orbs he had for eyes, didn't seem dangerous at all. She then turned back to her friend. "He's different, Val." She assured her. The mermaid shook her head. "They're all the same." She replied. "He protected me from the wolves today." She tells him. The black-haired girl frowned at her. "What were you doing there?" She questioned. "It's a long story. They were within our part of the forest, but they caught us." Serena explained. Valeria smirked at her friend. "Did they catch you? Or did Asher catch you?" She smirked. Serena rolls her eyes at the mermaid. Orlando stepped forward slightly. "You know him?" He asked the mermaid. Valeria nodded proudly. "Normally, I hate those beasts. They're disgusting." She started, "But Asher is not that bad." She added. The mermaid turns to her friend. "What do you even want from me?" She asked. "I need you to use your father's magic to look into the future," Serena replies. Valeria moved her hand in the water of the ocean. "I thought you could do that as well. Why would you need me?" She asked. "Because my powers are different. My visions aren't clear." She started, "And I know for a fact, that yours are." She added. Valeria slightly backed away from the shore. "What's in it for me?" She asked. The mermaid looked at the human. "Other than your kind killing every single one of mine." She snapped at him.

Orlando frowned at her. "Kill your kind? Why on earth would I do that? A while ago I thought you only existed in books and stories." He tells her. "I don't trust you." She said. Orlando looked at Serena. She just shut her eyes, letting out a sigh. Orlando turned his attention back to the mermaid in the water. "Listen, I have no idea what happened here. All I wanted was to get out of that stone prison I was raised in." He started. "You have no idea what happened here, Adelio. The humans started the war years ago. Slaughtered thousands of innocent people." Valeria cut him off. Orlando holds up his hand in defense. "I know, but I cannot change what happened." He said, "I didn't know a thing. A few days ago I found out that I am related to the emperor of the stone empire." He tells her. Valeria rolls her eyes and starts to distance herself even further from the land. "You think you can talk your way out of this? Out of all the blood that has been shed?" She asked him. "I am well aware I can't talk my way out. I'm not trying to. All I want is for you to help us." He replies. The young man looked at the she-elf. "I don't know what's happening here. It is all very confusing to me. But there is something about this that is important to you and your family. And I want to help you." He tells her. Orlando then looked back at Valeria in the water. "Please, you know this world. You know each other. You don't have to tell me, but at least help me." He tells her. He kneeled and holds out his hand. "Let me show to you I am unlike them," he tells her.

Young Serena looked at the waves crashing against the land she was sitting on. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. She enjoyed the sound of this nature. After all the drama she had at home, she needed some time out. Her father was stressed, and so was her brother. The wolves were being a pain in the ass again. When she opened her eyes again, she noticed bright, blue eyes staring at her. The elven princess jumped and pulled out her dagger. She aimed her weapon at the small head that was sticking out of the water. "Who are you?" Serena asked. The creature didn't respond. Serena got a little bit closer with her weapon. "I asked you a question!" She exclaimed. As she tried to attack it, the creature backed away slightly, pulling the half of her face that was in the water out. Her head was now fully exposed. Her face was slim and slightly wet, and yet, it still seemed soft. Her eyes were a beautiful blue color. "What are you?" Serena asked her. "Something that could get you killed." The mermaid replied. Serena got a little bit closer. "Why are you in the water? Aren't you cold?" She asked. The mermaid shook her head. Serena glanced down to spot the girl's tail. Her eyes widened slightly. "You're a mermaid." She gasped. The black-haired girl smirked slightly. "Yes, I am." She said. Serena got even closer. "You're not that scary." She said quietly. The mermaid looked offended. Serena quickly holds up her hands in defense. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult you." She quickly tells her. The mermaid still looked at her suspiciously. Serena put her dagger away again. "What's your name?" She asked. The mermaid frowned. "What? Do you think we're friends now?" She questioned. Serena shrugged. "Maybe. It would be nice to have a non-elfish friend." She said. "You're an elf?" The mermaid questioned. Serena nodded in response. She puts her hand on the ground, making a flower slowly grow. A white lily. She gently pulled it from the ground and handed it to the mermaid. The black-haired girl slowly swam over to her. She carefully took the flower from her hand. "Why did you do that?" She asked. "Just a present for my new friend." Serena smiled. The mermaid returned the smile. She looked up at the elven princess. "My name is Valeria." She said, answering Serena's question. "I'm Serena." The she-elf said.