•Chapter 31• Family Trouble

"Are we sure we shouldn't have sent someone out there with them?" Callodir questioned. The queen laughed and shook her head. She reached out for his hand and gently took it. "Come on," She tells him. Callodir let out a sigh. "I'm being serious," He started, "What if something happens to them?" He pointed out. The queen continued to pull him along with him through their garden. "What if Hayes hurts his leg? Serena cannot carry him back." Callodir continued. The queen stopped her pace and turned around. She put her hands on his shoulders. "Honey, you need to stop worrying so much." She tells him, "Our children are fine. And nothing's going to happen to them." She assured him. Callodir opened his mouth to speak. The queen quickly stopped him by pressing her finger against his lips. Callodir smiled in response. "Sorry," He said, "Where are you taking me?" He asked. The queen smiled and pulled him along with her. A few feet away from them stood a small sapling. Callodir turned to look at his wife. "A sapling?" He questioned. The queen smiled excitedly. "It was a gift." She explained. "A gift? From whom?" The king replied. "From me. To you." The queen smiled politely. The elven king smiled at his wife. He placed a gentle kiss against her temple. "Darling, why would you-" He started. The queen held up her hand to stop him once again. "It is to ease your worries. Once this sapling has grown into a healthy tree, it will contain magical powers that can give you the ability to look anywhere you want. Only if you know the spell, of course. Otherwise, it's just a normal tree." The queen explained. Callodir rolled his eyes. "I'm not that worried." He replied. "Sure you are." She smiled. The queen wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "But that's one of the things I love about you." She whispered. A small blush appeared on Callodir's face. "Thank you for your kind gift, Darling. I love it." He tells her.

"How did you even find me?" Serena questioned. Her father looked down at her as he inspected her head for any wounds or possible injuries. "Magic." He answered sarcastically. Serena glared at him as he chuckled at his sarcasm."What kind of magic?" She asked. The tone was more serious than before. "I thought your magic didn't go beyond the borders of our land." She added. "It's the kind of magic that you have yet to learn about," Callodir replied. Serena furrowed her eyebrows. "Why are you dodging my questions?" She asked him. "Why are you asking them?" Callodir snapped at her. Serena glared at her father. The elven king sighed and took a step back. He quickly apologized to his daughter. "What's wrong with you?" Serena asked. Callodir briefly glanced over his shoulder. Serena quickly understood what he meant. "It's them, right?" She questioned."They killed your mother." Callodir gritted between his teeth. Serena glanced down at her lap. She remembered the history between the wolves and elves very clearly. They had always been enemies. A few years after the coalition of all kinds fell apart, Serena's mother, the queen, wanted to clear the air between wolves and elves. There was a short time when they could get along. No fights, no innocent blood being spilled. She was willing to have a peaceful conversation with the alpha werewolf. But it was a trick. The wolves killed her and ripped her body apart. They said it was some sort of warning. Callodir lost his true love because of them. Which would explain his distant behavior towards them. "Father, they-"Serena started. Callodir cupped her face in one of his hands. "I'm worried they'll the same to you." He tells her. His eyes started to water. "Hayes told me about what happened with the wolves after you left. They could've killed you."He continued. Serena puts her hand over his. "But they didn't. I'm still here. And they're willing to help us. They want peace." Serena tells. Callodirshook his head. "No, Serena." He said sternly, "All they want, is revenge." He replied, "And they're not going to stop. They're animals. It's who they are, and who they will always be." He added.

Serena scoffed. "This is ridiculous, Father. You even never tried to get to know them. You attacked Remus the moment you saw him!" She exclaimed. "Serena-" Callodir spoke in a warning tone. "No!" Serena cut him off. She stood up from her seat. "I'm not listening to you complaining how bad they are. They're not!" She said. Callodir bit the inside of his cheek, trying to keep his composure. Serena stood right in front of her father. "They helped save my life. They could've left me there to die but they didn't. If I had been there for another few hours, I would've been dead right now." Serena reminds him. She stepped closer to the king. "And you know who's fault that would've been?" She questioned. "Don't you dare blame this on me, young lady." Callodir snapped at her. "And why not? You could've killed Orlando. You could've saved us all this time." Serena started. "You know why I didn't kill him!" Callodir exclaimed. "Mother is not coming back!" Serena barked. The king's eyes widened slightly. "You're way out of line, young lady." He tells her. Serena huffed annoyed. "Oh, please, save it for someone who can't see right through you." She tells him, "You want mother to come back. But she won't." She repeated. Now, her eyes started to water. "I miss her too. But you can't risk all of this for-" She started. "You've crossed the line, Serena," Callodir tells her sternly. The elven princess shook her head and took a few steps back. "I cannot believe how selfish you are." She tells him. Callodir let out a low chuckle. "Selfish?" he asked, "I'm doing this for our people. For our family." He continued. "What family?" Serena asked him. She turned away from her father. "Ever since mother died, you've only cared for one thing. Power." She spoke. Callodir glared at his daughter. The princess turned around again. "But that's all right." She started, "Because I just realized that, one day, you will be dead. One day, you will have no power. Nothing. You will have nothing." She added. "Elves don't just die, foolish girl."Callodir reminded her. "Who said anything about a natural death?" She questioned. Callodir suddenly pulled out his sword and held it against Serena's throat. "Are you threatening me?" The king questioned. Serena tilted her head slightly. "Does that frighten you, Father? Death?" She asked. Suddenly, he realized he was holding his weapon against his daughter's throat. As if she was nothing. What was he doing? Serena looked at him with emotionless eyes. "Because it should," Serena tells him.