•Chapter 45• Cheating Death

A loud echo sounded. The small hairs on the back of his neck stood up straight. Asher turned his head from the tower towards Misty. "Did you hear that?" Asher questioned. Misty looked at her best friend worriedly. "You don't think-" Asher started. "Serena." She said. The two of them turned their heads towards the elven prince standing a few feet away from them. He heard it too. Orlando's scream sounded hopeless and desperate. Her name. Hayes dropped to his knees, looking up at the highest tower. He had never felt this weak in his life. This pain was unimaginable. It was as if someone had cut out part of his soul ad stepped on it. "What is it this ti-" Hayes started. "He needs to go back." Callodir blurted out. Hayes frowned at the king. "You're letting him go?" Serena asked her father. The King looked at his daughter. "He's not going alone." He tells her. Serena's eyes widened. Hayes started to shake his head. "No, no, no." He said. Serena stood in front of her father. "I can?" She asked him. Hayes pointed his finger at his sister. "She's not going alone." He said. The King turned to look at his son. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were the king, son." He replied. Hayes took a step closer to his father. "You want to send her out there by herself? Your daughter?" He asked him. "She's strong, Hayes. She doesn't need me, or you, to protect her. He is no danger to her." Callodir pointed out. "It's not about him. It's about the others. If she takes him back to them..." Hayes started. He let out a deep sigh. "They will slaughter her." He said quietly, "And what of the others that live in the forest? Who will protect her from them?" He questioned. "Your sister is capable of handling them, Hayes," Callodir said sternly. Hayes slowly drew his sword. His grip was so tight that his veins were almost popping out of his skin. "Hayes," Asher spoke.  "He dies." He said quietly, "They all die." He added.

Orlando breaks free from the guard's grip. He collapsed to his knees and slides over to the mirror. He manages to grab a hold of Serena's soft hand. She looked up at him with her doe eyes. They were watery. "Please don't let go of me." She pleaded. Erix frowned at them. Her green eyes were just pleading. He could let go of her at any moment. Was this the moment where Serena would discover the truth? A human holding an elf's life in his hand. The young man looked down at her. He used his other hand to have a stronger grip on her. "Never," Orlando promised her. Erix took a sword from one of the guards' holsters. He turned back to the two teens. Orlando was trying to pull Serena out of the void. The emperor pushed the sword into Orlando's side, making the boy scream out in pain. But he didn't let go of Serena. She was this close to falling into the void but he refused to let go. Blood was starting to pour from his wound. Erix pushed the blade even deeper into the poor boy's body. Orlando bit his bottom lip so hard it even started to bleed. It took all the strengths inside his body. He was screaming and grunting. But Serena was pulled up by Orlando. She placed her arms on the floor. She kicked her feet, trying to push herself up, but she was kicking the air. Orlando was pulled away by the emperor. "I'll push you in along with her." He threatened. "Yeah?" Orlando said in a challenging tone. Blood was still pouring out of his wound. Orlando grabbed the emperor by his collar. He used the last strengths in his body and pushed the emperor into the three men standing behind him. Serena managed to pull herself up. She caught Orlando before he collapsed. "We need to get out of here." He panted. Serena nodded and supported the young man as they fled the room. "After them!" Erix yelled at the top of his lungs.

Together, he and Serena moved through the large hallways. They took a couple of turns until Orlando collapsed in Serena's arms. She was strong but she couldn't keep him up for very long. She sat down with him. The young man was panting heavily. He sat against a large window and cursed under his breath. Serena carefully got closer to him. She untied his vest to reveal his white shirt, now stained with blood. "Did he get me?" Orlando tried to joke. Serena glared at him before she focused back on his shirt. She slowly unbuttons it. "I don't think now's the time, Serena." He smiled at her. "Shut up." She tells him sternly. She placed her hand over his wounds. He arched his back and hissed in pain. Serena smiled sweetly. "Sorry," She apologized. She looked up at him as she used her magic to stop the bleeding and partly heal his wound. "Thank you for not letting me go," Serena tells him. Orlando returned the smile. "I made a promise to your brother. I tend to keep that." He informs her, "I don't want him to cut my head off." He continued. Serena looked at him. "I am way too handsome for that." He added. Serena frowned at him. "You're joking, right?" She asked him. Orlando just looked at her. He admired her. The elven princess felt his eyes on her. She removed her hand and the wound was gone, ignoring the young man's staring, and not saying a word. Orlando looked down at his ribs where the wound was. "Cool." he said, "Do I have superpowers now?" He asked. Serena rolled her eyes. "We need to go. Erix is probably searching the whole place for us by now." She said. As soon as those words came out of her mouth, they could both hear footsteps approaching. She helped him up again. "Well, well, well." The two of them turned their heads towards the sound. Serena's eyes widened. "No way," Orlando whispered. Serena furrowed her eyebrows. "Valeria," She said.