•Chapter 18• Merpeople

Serena supported her brother as they made their way towards the Dreaded Ocean. The Elven Prince's eyes went back and forth between his sister and the water in front of them. "You went to see that fish?" Hayes asked his sister. Serena rolled her eyes. "Now is not the time." She replies. She lead the small group towards the edge where the land and sea met. Hayes sat down on the grass and watched as his sister made her way towards the edge. "What if I push her in?" Misty whispered, so quietly only Asher could hear it. "I don't think that's a good idea." He replies. Orlando glared at the two over his shoulder. Meanwhile, Serena stuck her hand in the water and wiggled with her fingers. After a few seconds, the young mermaid's head popped up from the waves. "What did you find out?" Serena asked her. Valeria swam over to the shore. She looked into Serena's green eyes. "I saw a lot of things," she said. Serena furrowed her eyebrows. "What did you see?" She repeated. "I saw a lot of things. I don't know what I saw." Valeria answered. Why wasn't she giving any clear answers? Valeria's eyes shortly traveled below her, into the waters. Serena realized what was going on. Her brother followed her. The little snitch. Lamar, Valeria's older brother, was cruel, emotionless, and greedy. He loved to see the sailors drown with their ships in the Dreaded Ocean. And he was a little snitch! Serena nodded in response. "That's alright." She said. The young mermaid's eyes traveled down again. She could see her brother listening to every word she said. Valeria got closer to the shore. She pulled herself up and sat on the land, her tail still hanging in the water. "My mother knows about him. She watches every move I make. The waters are no longer safe for you." Valeria whispered. Orlando stepped forward. "Every river or pond...my mother sees all. She wants his blood." Valeria added. "But you helped us. Will you be alright?" Orlando asked her. "It's not me you've got to worry about," Valeria tells him. Her eyes met Serena's again. "Promise me," She started, "Promise me, you will take him there. That you will protect him." She continued. Serena nodded. "I promise." She said.

Valeria pulled out a closed clam. She brushed her fingers over the shell and whispered something to it. The clam opened, revealing a pearl. She carefully took the white pearl out and held it up. It was very small. "I can't tell you what it told me. Not here." She tells. Serena took the pearl from Valeria's hand. "You'll know what to do with it." She said. The she-elf nodded and grabbed her friend's hand. "Thank you." She said. "Yes, thank you," Orlando tells her. Valeria looked at the young man. "I have faith in you." She whispered. Her eyes then traveled behind them to see Asher. She couldn't help but blush slightly. She looked back at her friend. "I didn't know they were on our team now." She said. "They're not," Serena replied. "You're going to need all the help you can get, Serena." Valeria reminds her. "You don't understand-" Serena started. Valeria grabbed Serena's hand. "No, I do understand. But you need to put all of that behind you if you want to live long enough to get through this." The mermaid said. The she-elf let out a sigh and nodded. The mermaid looked at Hayes sitting on the grass a few feet away. "I will get back at you for trying to cut my head off." She warned him. Before he could reply, the dove back into the water. Serena stood up again, putting the pearl in her small bag. "So, princess, what now?" Asher asked. "We need to gather some food and water." Serena answered, "We head out for the Stone Empire as soon as possible." She added. "How are we going to get water if we're not allowed to get near anything? The creepy siren lady is watching us, remember?" Misty pointed out. "We'll find a way," Serena replied. She turned to her brother and helped him up. Orlando helped her. "Is there any other way in there? Without anyone seeing us?" Serena asked him as they walked into the forest again. Orlando shook his head slowly. "No, the emperor has guards everywhere," Orlando replied. Serena let out a quiet sigh. "Then we'll get in ourselves." She said. Hayes coughed loudly as they walked. Serena stopped to look at her brother. "Hayes?" She started. "I'm fine." Her brother assured her. The she-elf looked at Orlando. The two of them helped the elf sit down again. Serena puts her hands on his cheeks. "He's getting worse." She whispered. "I'm fine," Hayes repeated. Serena shook her head. "You're not." She said, "Stay here. I'll be back as soon as I can." She tells him. Hayes tried to grab her wrist to stop her. "Stay with my brother." She ordered. Orlando nodded and watched as she ran off further into the woods. 

"Mother, I already told you. I had nothing to do with that." Valeria lied. Her mother stopped her movements. She glanced over her shoulder to look at her daughter. Her navy blue eyes were now focused on her. "Nothing to do with it? Please, don't lie to me, Valeria." The woman said sternly. She slowly swam towards her daughter. "I never taught you to lie." She reminds her. Valeria nodded in response. Her mother grabbed her daughter's chin harshly, pulling it up. "You created another vision with my ingredients to help an elf. And a human." the woman started, "Why?" She asked. "I didn't create another vision," Valeria replied. Her mother raised her hand and slapped her hand across Valeria's cheek. Valeria's eyes widened. She looked back at her mother. "You should know better than to steal from me. From your mother!" The woman exclaimed. "I tried to help my friends!" Valeria replied. "They're not your friends, sweetheart." Her mother said. "How would you know? You shut everyone out years ago! And sending Lamar after me? Seriously?!" Valeria exclaimed. "I did that, to protect you. One of those creatures almost cut your head off!" Her mother said. "I'm still here, aren't I?" Valeria questioned. Her mother groaned loudly. "I can't believe you would betray me like that. With those creatures!" The woman said. "I did not betray you. I tried to help." Valeria replied, "And maybe, that's what you should try as well for once. Instead of luring people to their deaths and darkening your heart in the process!" She added. Her mother hissed at her, showing her sharp teeth. "Very mature." Valeria tells her, "I wish it was you, instead of father. He would've supported me instead of sending my brother to spy on me." She continued. Before her mother could say anything, Valeria swam off, leaving the woman behind.