•Chapter 37• Travels

Hours had passed by. The small group was still running through the forest. A wolf howl sounded behind them. A pack of wolves was probably already following them. "Can we please take a break?" Valeria panted. Orlando stopped a few feet away from the mermaid.  "I think that's a good idea." He said between breaths. The young man was out of breath. He rested his hands on his lap as he bend over slightly. The others stopped as well. Serena glanced over her shoulder. Asher sighed. "Are you sure?" He asked her. Serena glared at him. "I mean, they could be catching up with us quickly. Wolves run faster than most elves." He added. "We're taking a break." She tells him sternly. The young werewolf puts his hands up in defense. "Sorry." He said. Serena looked at her brother. "Keep an eye out for werewolves." She ordered. Her brother nodded and turned the other way. "I'll come with you," Asher suggested. His dark eyes were still focused on Serena as he spoke. Hayes noticed and walked past the werewolf. "As if I was gonna leave you here alone with my sister." He said. He whispered those last two words. Serena and Asher exchanged one last look before he turned around and left with Hayes. Misty stepped forward. "Are you alright, fish?" She questioned. Valeria nodded and chuckled in response. "Good one." She replied. Serena handed her friend some water. "You need to stay hydrated." She reminded her. Valeria took the water and chugged it down. Orlando looked at Misty. "Is anyone close to us? Wolves? Elves?" He asked. The brunette werewolf shook her head. "Nothing. We should be alright for now." She answered. Orlando nodded in response. "Then we rest here for a while." He said. He sat down against the three closest to them. He leaned against it as he sat down. Misty walked up to him. She sat next to him on the ground. Orlando handed her some water. But Misty shook her head, not accepting the water. "You need to stay hydrated." He tells her. "I'm fine, thank you." She smiled. "Drink," Orlando ordered. Misty rolled her eyes and took a sip of the water. The young man smiled at her.

Asher walked in front of the elven prince. He scanned his surroundings. "So, where do you think-" He started. Before he could finish his sentence, Hayes pushed him harshly. Asher let out an animalistic growl in response. "What the hell?" He said. "I'm not stupid, Dog," Hayes replied. Asher furrowed his eyebrows. "What?" He asked. "You're eying my sister up as if she's some sort of branch from the highest tree in all the realms." Hayes answered, "As if she's something you must have." He explained. Asher shrugged. "Don't do that," Hayes said sternly. He stepped closer to the elven prince. "Listen," he started, "I know you have some interest in my sister." He continued. The elf then pressed his pointing finger on the werewolf's chest. "Whatever it is that you're doing. Stop it." He added. Asher glanced down at his finger against his chest. He then slowly removed his hand, with a tight grip around his wrist. "You don't make that decision for her. Nor me." He replied. "Stay away from my sister," Hayes repeated. Asher pushed the elven prince away with a lot of force, sending him back a few feet. Hayes drew his sword. "You want to do this again?" he asked him. Asher's eyes lit up and his claws started to come out of his fingers. The two attacked each other. Hayes swung his weapon at the werewolf as he tried to block the elf's attack with his arms. Hayes cut into Asher's skin. Tiny drops of blood started to trail down his arms. "You are stubborn," Hayes spoke. "Am I?" Asher asked. He used his claw to attack the brunette elf. "You're one to talk." The werewolf added. Hayes jumped up and swung his sword at the werewolf again. "What did you do to her in that water?" He asked. Asher's eyes darkened. "I saw you two. What did you do?" He asked in a dark tone. "Did you kiss her?" He added. "No!" Asher answered. "But you wanted to." Hayes snapped at him.

"Where are they?" Misty questioned. Orlando glanced around before he looked at the three women sitting in front of him. "I'll go look for them. You stay here." He tells them. Valeria looked up at Orlando and shook her head. "Not alone. What if something happened to them?" She said. Orlando wanted to protest when Serena stepped in. "She's right." She started, "You should stay here." She continued. The she-elf then turned to the young werewolf standing next to her. Without exchanging a word, Misty understood the message. "If I'm not back in five minutes you need to gather up and run as fast as you can," Misty spoke up. Serena nodded. "Thank you." She said. And with that, Misty rushed off into the forest as well. Valeria made eye contact with Orlando again. "You're just too important." She whispered. Valeria got closer to the shore. She pulled herself up and sat on the land, her tail still hanging in the water. "My mother knows about him. She watches every move I make. The waters are no longer safe for you." Valeria whispered. Orlando stepped forward. "Every river or pond...my mother sees all. She wants his blood." Valeria added. "But you helped us. Will you be alright?" Orlando asked her. "It's not me you've got to worry about," Valeria tells him. Her eyes met Serena's again. "Promise me," She started, "Promise me, you will take him there. That you will protect him." She continued. Serena nodded. "I promise." She said. Valeria pulled out a closed clam. She brushed her fingers over the shell and whispered something to it. The clam opened, revealing a pearl. She carefully took the white pearl out and held it up. It was very small. "I can't tell you what it told me. Not here." She tells. Serena took the pearl from Valeria's hand. "You'll know what to do with it." She said. The she-elf nodded and grabbed her friend's hand. "Thank you." She said. "Yes, thank you," Orlando tells her. Valeria looked at the young man. "I have faith in you." She whispered.