•Chapter 39• Sisters Lie

It didn't take long for Serena and Asher to catch up with the rest of the group. Orlando was ahead of everyone and next to him was Hayes. The young man glanced over his shoulder when he heard the elf and werewolf return. He gave her a sweet smile and a nod. Serena returned the smile as she walked up towards Valeria. Orlando turned his head to look at Hayes. The elven prince had an annoyed expression written across his face. Orlando didn't have any siblings. He never got the chance. His parents spoke of having a new baby. His father always wanted a big family. "How many?" Orlando's mother asked. Her mouth had dropped in shock and her eyes were huge. "At least four more." The man replied. Orlando smiled at his father. "I'm getting four more brothers?" He questioned. His father looked at his son. "Or sisters." He tells him. Orlando's eyes widened. "That would be so cool." The young boy smiled. His father pointed at his son as he looked at his son. "See! He doesn't mind." He replied. "You forget that I'm the one who will have to carry those babies around in my belly for nine months each." The woman pointed out. Orlando's father jumped up. He cupped his face in her hands. "If I could do it for you, I would. You know that." He tells her. The woman smiled at her husband. "So, I promise you, I will do nightly duties all the time. Plus day duties! For all of them." He promised her. The woman smiled brightly with a blush on her cheeks. "You're so sweet." She tells him. Orlando walked up to his mother and hugged her leg. "I will help too, mommy." He promised. "I know you do, Baby." She said. She picked up the little boy and looked at her husband. "I'll think about it." She tells her boys. But they never got the chance to expand their family. So Orlando could never truly understand what Hayes felt. The number of worries he must have for his little sister.

"What are you looking at?" Hayes asked him. Orlando shrugged. "You." He said. He stepped closer to the elven prince. "You're worried about her. I get that." He said. "You don't know anything, Orlando." Hayes snapped at him. Orlando nodded slowly. "You're right. I don't. But you know..." he started, "You can't cut off someone's head because they flirt with your sister." He continued. Hayes shot a glare at him. "It's kind of barbaric to do that," Orlando added. Hayes kept glaring at the young man. "You might as well have just cut off my head." He tells him. The elf stayed silent. Orlando sighed, not getting a word out of Hayes' mouth. "Are you even listening to me?" Orlando asked. "I am," Hayes replied. Now it was Hayes' turn to let out a sigh. "Listen, you weren't there. You don't understand what big of a deal it would be if they got together." Hayes tells him. "I don't get what the big deal is with him? Asher likes her. Serena likes him." Orlando said, "You didn't seem to mind that much when I was close with her." He continued. Hayes shook his head. "It's not that." He replied. He paused for a few seconds. "What happens with the emperor when he falls in love with a normal citizen? Normally?" Hayes asked. Orlando thought about it for a couple of minutes. "People would frown upon it." He figured. Hayes nodded. "So that's what you're worried about?" Orlando asked. The elven prince shook his head. "I'm worried about my sister losing her authority and her home." He explained. Orlando furrowed his eyebrows. "When she and Asher get together, my father has to take away everything. It's the law. When my mother got killed by those creatures, my father created a new law. No elf would ever have any, friendly, contact with them. No friendships. No romantic relationships. Nothing. Anyone who breaks that law will be stripped of their powers and banished from the lands." Hayes explained. 

Meanwhile, walking a few feet away from them, were Valeria and Serena. The two friends were walking in silence. But Serena could feel something was off. Maybe Valeria wanted to go home? Or maybe it was Serena. The she-elf was a little flustered. Distracted. But she didn't want to upset her friend. Valeria was known for her mood swings. "You're quiet," Valeria spoke up. Serena turned to look at her friend. "Huh?" She said. Valeria looked at her with serious eyes. "You're quiet. What's wrong?" She asked. Serena shrugged. "Not much." She replied. Valeria furrowed her eyebrows. "Really," Serena promised her. Valeria held up her hands in defense. "All right. I understand." She said. The two friends continued to walk behind Orlando and Hayes. On their left were the two werewolves. They were also chatting about something. Misty was smirking and Asher seemed annoyed. As usual. Valeria's eyes were glued onto the male werewolf. His brown, soft hair. All she wanted was to run her hands through it. But he wasn't in love with her. Valeria knew it. She let out a sigh. "You know," She started. Serena turned her attention back to her friend. "He's not my property." She added. Serena nodded, getting a little uncomfortable. "Where are you going with this?" Serena asked. Valeria put her hand on Serena's arm. They both stood still for a few seconds. Her hand trailed down and she grabbed Serena's hand. "Val-" Serena started. "I've seen the way he looks at you." Valeria pointed out. Serena looked down at her feet. "And I would give anything for him to look at me that way." She added. The she-elf was frightened by what was coming next. She could feel the grip on her hand becoming tighter. But within a few seconds, Valeria's grip loosened again. Serena looked into her friend's eyes. "But he looks at you. And I want him to look at you." She said. Serena furrowed her eyebrows. "What? You mean that?" She asked. Valeria nodded and smiled. "I want you both to be happy." She tells her, "Besides, he and I wouldn't have worked out anyway." She added. The two girls looked at each other. No words came out. Silence. Until Serena wrapped her arms around the mermaid. "Thank you." She whispered. But behind her back, Valeria had a devilish smirk on her face. "No," She said. She gently patted Serena's hair. "Thank you." She added.