•Chapter 49• I Love You

"So he's still up there? All by himself?" misty questioned. Serena nodded in response. "Shouldn't we be up there to help him?" She questioned. "He told me to come and help you guys instead. He said he would be fine." Serena tells. Misty folded her arms over one another. She glared at the elven princess. "He can barely hold a sword." She argued. "Erix can't do that much either," Serena said. Misty was about to throw another argument into their conversation when Hayes stopped her. He stood in between the two girls. Slightly closer to his sister than to the werewolf. "Let's try and find a way for us to prevent that from getting any worse!" Hayes said as he pointed at the wall in the distance. Misty's eyes widened at the sight. "Yeah that seems like a good idea," she said. Hayes looked at his sister. "Do we have a plan?" he asked her. Serena shrugged. "Well, I do," she said. She turned to Misty. "We need to evacuate those people and help those who have already been injured. Can you do that?" she questioned. Misty nodded and looked at her best friend. "But I can't do it alone." She answered. Serena turned her head to meet Asher's eyes. Although she didn't look into them directly. He had lowered his head, pressing his chin against his chest. "I'll help you," he said quietly. Misty turned to run off. But Asher didn't follow her just yet. Serena ignored it and turned to her brother. "I need you to back me up," she tells him. Hayes smiled and her and pulled out his weapon. "I always have your back," he assured her. "I need you to have my back as a knight. Not like my brother. But as a soldier. Can you do that?" Serena asked. Hayes nodded in response.

Serena walked up to Asher who was still standing perfectly in place. His head still lowered and his arms folded over one another. "Asher I need you and Misty to evacuate those people." She tells him. He shook his head. "What?" she asked him quietly. "I almost lost you," he whispered. Serena tilted her head slightly. "What?" she repeated. He looked up at her. Straight in the eyes. His eyes were wet, yet still warm. "I thought you were gone! I thought you were dead!" he snapped at her. He stepped towards her and grabbed her arms tightly with his hands. Veins popped out of his skin. "I thought you died! Gone forever!" he repeated. Serena's eyes softened. He truly cared for her. Those emotions in his eyes. "Asher, we have to go." Serena insisted. But the young werewolf chuckled in response. He got closer to her. He carefully wrapped his arms around her waist. "Why?" He asked her. He slowly started to move further into the water, still holding onto Serena. Suddenly she couldn't feel the ground underneath her feet. She squealed and wrapped her arms around his neck as a quick response. Asher chuckled once again. "Can't swim or something?" He questioned. Serena glared at him and put her arms against his chest. "I can, thank you very much." She replied. She pushed him away and made his way back to the spot where she could stand. Asher followed her closely. Serena got herself out and squeezed the water out of her clothes. "You're no fun," Asher complained. Serena turned to look at him. "We're about to infiltrate the most dangerous empire in Oceanum Collis. And you want to go for a swim?" She said. Asher rolled his eyes. "Yes," He answered simply. He pulled himself out of the water as well and stepped towards Serena. "A little relaxation before the fight," he added. Serena sighed and decided not to respond to him. "Alright, alright, I get it. We need to get going." Asher spoke. He took another step closer to the she-elf. He leaned down to her ear. "Why can't you admit it?" He whispered. "Admit what, exactly?" Serena asked him. The young werewolf smirked. "The fact that you like me." He whispered. Serena raised her eyebrows. "Like you?" She snickered. She turned to look at him. "Yes, admit it. You like me." Asher challenged her. Serena laughed and squeezed some more water from her clothes. "Did Misty whisper this to you or something?" She questioned. Asher grasped her wrist tightly. "Serena," he said. His tone had something sweet to it but also something desperate. As if he was reaching out to her. Calling her.

She swallowed hard. Asher stepped even closer to her. "If you won't admit it then I will." He tells her. Serena's eyes widened slightly. "I like you. Okay? I like you a lot." he informs her. He inhaled deeply. "And I know you do too. You're just too proud to admit it. But I don't care anymore, okay? It's not elves. It's you. I like- no, I-I-" He rambled. Serena shook her head and placed her hand over his mouth before he could say anything else. "Don't say it." she said, "Don't say something you don't mean. Or something you will regret later. Please, don't." she pleaded. "I love you," Asher mumbled in the palm of her hand. Serena slowly removed her hand from his mouth. "I love you, Serena," Asher repeated. "You don't mean that," Serena replied. Asher took her hands in his. He brought them up to his lips and kissed her knuckles. "I am in love with you. You, Serena, daughter of my father's greatest enemy. My greatest enemy. I am in love with you." he said to her.