•Chapter 20• No Longer Safe

"Who is he?" Hayes questioned. Orlando scratched the back of his head nervously. "He was this old man who told stories. He's the only one still alive who has ever stepped foot outside the walls." Orlando explained. "He told stories? About people like us?" Serena asked him. Orlando nodded in response. "So, he told some tales to the children. There is no harm in that." Hayes replied. "You would think that. But the truth is, no one was allowed to even think about the world beyond the walls." Orlando started, "When the emperor learned that Antonio was telling people about it, he wasn't very pleased. He cut out the poor old man's eyes as some sort of symbol." He continued. The siblings looked at the young man in shock. "They cut out his eyes?" Serena asked. "Yes," Orlando replied, "They dropped him on the streets. Left him for dead. That's when a woman found him and took him in again. We all took care of him, cleaning his wounds, making sure he got around safely." He explained. "Sounds like he owes a lot to you. Do you think he would betray you?" Hayes questioned. Orlando shook his head. "I'm not sure. If he did, then he didn't have a choice." He replied. Serena turned her head to look at the two werewolves standing a few feet away. They were arguing heavily. Their loudness made Serena a little dizzy in her head. She turned away from them starting to walk away. Orlando noticed Serena was starting to get lost in her thoughts. He walked up to her, putting his hand on her shoulder. The she-elf jumped slightly at the sudden touch on her skin. "Are you alright?" He asked her. Serena shook her head. "I have no idea what to do," she tells him honestly. She turned around to look at him. "There are people here. Actual humans. They're here for you. My brother is hurt and we're working with the enemy." She rambled. Orlando puts his hands on her arms. His thumbs brushed gently over the soft fabric that covered her skin. "We just have come up with a plan." He tells her. "That's the problem. I have no idea what to do. There is nowhere we can go. Nowhere to hide. If they find us here, they will-" She started. Orlando cupped her face in his hands. "Shh," he whispered to her, "We're going to get out. I'll help you. I happen to know a thing or two about staying out of the emperor's hands." He chuckled lightly. Serena let out a deep sigh and nodded. "Just take a few deep breaths. We'll figure something out." He assured her.

He stepped through the puddle of slightly dried blood. As he walked further through the room, there was a light trail of his steps. Red, almost black, prints. On the floor, was the man without eyes. His mouth was open with a small trail of blood coming out of it. The bandage around his eyes was removed, revealing the almost black holes in his skull. Erix walked over to the large window. After days filled with torture, Erix decided to finally put an end to the old man. His head was filled with hatred and frustration. He was forced to send his men beyond the wall. But he was desperate to find the boy. "Where are you going?" The young man questioned. The girl in front of him licked her lips and looked at him with dreamy eyes. "Darling?" He said. The girl was slightly shorter than him. Her hair was a dirty blonde color, almost brown, and her eyes were bright blue. She pulled Erix along with her behind some buildings. "Why won't you tell me where we're going?" The young Erix questioned. The girl continued to walk into a small alleyway. Erix followed her, keeping their fingers locked. Suddenly, she stopped. Erix frowned at her as she let go of his hand. She kneeled and pushed some of the rocks aside from the wall, revealing a small gap. "Come on, let's go." She whispered. Erix shook his head. "We're not allowed to go beyond the wall," he said. The girl rolled her eyes and groaned. "Fine, I'll go without you." She said. Before she could squeeze herself through, Erix protectively grabbed her and pulled her back. "No, don't do that it's not safe," he tells her. The blonde girl turned her head to look at him. "You're scared, aren't you?" She questioned. Erix didn't answer her question. "Aw, don't worry, I'll protect you." She teased him. "It's cute that you want to protect me, but you're like a foot shorter than me and-" he started. The girl rolled her eyes again. "You're just scared. Come on, let's go." She said. Erix pulled her back once again. This time, he turned them around so he was standing in front of the small gap so she could no longer escape. "It's not safe out there. We are not sneaking out." He tells her. The girl groaned in response. "Hey," Erix started. He gently grabbed her chin between his fingers. "Promise me." He ordered. 

The emperor walked over to his desk. He opened the top drawer and reached into it. He got out a tiny piece of cloth. The soft fabric of the dress she was wearing when she left. He accidentally ripped it off when he tried to get her back. "Oh, Rachel," Erix whispered. One of the guards stepped into the room. "Sir!" He called out. The emperor calmly put the fabric back into the drawer. "Didn't I tell you to knock before coming in?" He asked. "Oh, yeah, apologies, Sir. I had no idea you-" the man apologized. "You can't just barge in here!" Erix exclaimed loudly. The man jumped slightly at his loud voice. "S-sir...Sir-Sir..." The guard stuttered. "What?!" Erix exclaimed, "Use your words!" He yelled. "S-sir, they have eyes on the boy." The guard tells him. The emperor's eyes lit up slightly. "They found him?" He questioned, not believing him. The man nodded in response. "Make sure they get him. I don't care if he's alive or dead. Just get him here." Erix ordered. The guard nodded and left the emperor in his chamber. Erix reached into the drawer again, pulling the small piece of fabric. "I did it, Darling. I have found a way." He said. He brushed his thumb over the fabric between his fingers. "Once I get you back, I will never let you go. I promise." He whispered. Erix shut his eyes, imagining the girl of his dreams standing in the room with him. He could remember every feature of her face. Her smell. Her eyes. He remembered everything about her. "I just need to get rid of an annoying teenager first." He added. He then placed the fabric in the drawer again. "Can somebody get the bloody corpse off my floor!" He yelled as he stepped out of his chambers.