𝐃𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞

"𝐈 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞"

𝐈𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚 week since mine and Roger's birthday and we hadn't spoken, I had an inkling he had rang as my phone was practically ringing off the hook every few hours. I knew I couldn't keep ignoring him, but everything just felt awkward. The band was playing again in a few nights, so we had to speak at some point. I kept looking down at my bracelet that I hadn't taken off since that night.

"Lolly! Roger's on the phone for you!" mum shouts upstairs. "Says it's urgent!" I knew it was going to be a matter of time before he rings the house phone. I trot off downstairs and take the phone from mum and wait until she goes outside to hang up the washing, "What?" I speak into the receiver. "Nice way to say 'hi' to your best friend." he speaks, I could hear the tease when he said 'best friend'. "Yeah, and I'm putting the phone down now." I grunt. I was about to put it back on the hook until I heard his voice shouting.

"No, no! Lolly, wait!" I hold the phone back to my ear. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to know if you were okay... and if you'll meet me at the cafe around the corner from yours- just to talk." I mean, it would get me away from the chance of mum listening in if we had this conversation over the phone. "Fine," I sigh. "give me ten minutes." "Thank you." he says in relief. I put down the phone and go outside to announce to mum that I was going out.

After that, I padded upstairs to grab my cigarettes and zippo lighter, then headed out of the door. Thoughts flooded through my head like; what will I say to him, what would I do if he kissed me again? I came around the corner and saw the cafe in all of its glory across the street. It was nothing special, but just the spot to get away from it all, like a different kind of Wonderland, I could see the telephone box Roger must have used to call me just opposite it.