Chapter Twenty Two

The familiar sound of cars moving,the smell of fresh coffee roaming in the air,the sight of people coming and going off the streets,I found myself in the middle of a chaotic New York City.
    Standing at the subway waiting for Jake and Maya,I was forced to relive the horrors of my past briefly.
      Memories came flooding my mind. Of The day I arrived New York,cluelessly and without an iota of hope,feeling lost but so free.
     A year ago,I was the lost girl standing at the subway in awe of an amazing city. But there I was,evolved,reformed,both mentally and physically,and that was as a result of the generous and king hearted couple I was about to receive. 

   I looked up to the skies and prayed to heavens to bless them for me.
   When the train stopped I rushed to check for Maya and Jake.
      "J!" I shouted when I caught a glimpse of  Jake. I ran toward him with open arms and jumped at him,holding him so close.

      "My sweet girl." He hugged back,and inhaled in my hair. "I've missed you."

      "I've missed you too J." I said.
I Hugged Maya so tight. "Mayaa." I said in an emphasized throaty voice.

       "Hey,someone is hyper." Maya said and we all laughed.

                          ********

      We spent the day catching up on lost moments at Jake's apartment. We ate,chatted,and I napped between everything.

       When I woke up it was quarter after five. Then Jake hit me with a worrying news.

      "Baby girl,news is all over Coastal town that you fled in the middle of the night,but I don't think your parents told anyone why,there are all sorts of false rumors,and none of them favors you." He said.

    The thought of home,the thought of my parents and what they intended on doing to me,sent me to a world of misery and grief. I felt my wounds freshly open,Jake stopped talking when I started crying unstoppably.

     "Shh.. Its alright,you don't have to go back." He comforted me,rubbing the small of my back.

     After what felt like forever,My phone started ringing and I picked quizzically.

     "Hello." I said,my voice was obviously broken,I was almost still sobbing.

     "Sarah girl,hold on for Es." I recognized Simon's voice,and I wondered where he got my mobile number from. Without waiting for an answer from me,he handed the phone over to my boss.

      "Muffin..." That voice had an intimidating effect on me even through the phone.
       "We leave tomorrow at Five am. Thought I should tell you incase you have things to tidy up." He said,flatly.

        "Alright sir,thanks." I answered.

        "Are you alright? Where are you?." Observant Es.

        "Just a little headache,I'm good. At Jake's." I said,trying so hard to keep it casual.

        "Okay." He said,and before he uttered another word,I cut the line off.

                      ************** 

        I sat fidgeting in my seat,looking at the decks and attachments of the massive amazing machine. I'd never been in a plane my entire life,it was like a dream come true.
       I was oblivious of everyone else,as I scanned every angle and corner of the plane. I could feel Estaban's eyes following me,drilling into me but I didn't care.
     We were seated in a secluded room-like cabin,I wondered wether all planes looked so on the inside. There were comfortable looking beds,chairs,even a mini bar on the window side of the cabin.
     Simon sat farther away from us,while Estaban and I were seated next to each other,and no one else was in sight but the cabin crew.
    I was in awe of the physical manifestations of my surrounding. I was spellbound.
    After a few addresses through some clear speakers,the plane started moving,and I felt my stomach turn.
    Estaban must have noticed the look of apprehension on my face,he rested me back in my very comfortable seat and held my hand,I was tempted to yank it away but I kind of needed that support at the moment.