Chapter Thirty-Four; The Dream,The Forewarning.

Esteban's room was decorated with balloons and was filled with gift boxes.

His sister and mother had gone to an extra mile to celebrate Esteban's birthday.

They had occupied the guesthouses in the Mansion. Even after a long session of me trying to persuade them to move in the Main house,they insisted they were comfortable in the guesthouse.

Mr and Mrs Alcaraz occupied the biggest house,while Margaret and her Husband took the smaller one.

Mrs Alcaraz had tried to persuade me to eat everyday,and mostly failed.

Most of the time I'd down something liquid at her request,out of respect,but not because I found it appeasing to my eyes.

I had long grown unaccustomed to the snell of food or the sound of laughter.

****
And It was Esteban's birthday.

I had gotten him gifts,things I was sure He'd like.

Jake and Maya brought their gift boxes also.

Mr and Mrs Alcaraz equally brought theirs.

Simon,Cathy,Margaret and Pedro all brought their boxes.

The room was filled.
Everyone dressed for the occasion,except me.

Maya had forced me to wear a black rich chiffon dress.
She wanted to make my face up but I refused.

Over Esteban's bed were two huge balloons, one was a huge figure three and the other was zero.

Esteban had turned thirty.

My eyes were fixed on his face as everyone else chatted away and had drinks with snacks.

They seemed to me all infuriatingly optimistic.
In fact,everyone believed Esteban would be fine.

Except me. That was why I couldn't bring myself to be in any form of joy.

So I focused my attention solely on Esteban.
I walked over to Him and held his hand. "Guess who turned the big thirty today?" I asked.
"You guessed right." I said. "Today is the twenty third of October. And look at me,I'm not even excited. Who'd have thought?." I laughed humorlessly.

While others partied and chatted away,I talked to Esteban for hours,and I somehow found peace.
****

I was not a prayerful person,I was not religious.
But since all approaches with hope of Esteban's better health proved thwarted,I decided that God was my last resort.

It was around Nine in the evening,after a seemingly tiring celebration,Esteban's family left the hospital.

My world had gone from color to black and white.

Even though I'd always known that Esteban was the source of my happiness,these difficult moments had emphasized that fact well enough now.

I was seated at an angle in Esteban's private ward room when Maya and Jake rose to take their exit after the Alcaraz's.

Jake held me in his arms,giving me the usual reassuring pep talks.

"We are always here,Baby girl. And I promise you He'll get better." Jake said with no amount of confidence.

"Thank You J." I answered dryly.

"You know Sarah,Mrs. Alcaraz was right. You need to start eating,please,no matter how little. I hate seeing you like this,you look totally disfigured." Maya added,looking at me with concerned pitiful eyes.