Chapter Thirty-Seven

Winter was creeping in with full force.
So I wore long jeans with a tank top and a jacket,wrapping my neck with a muffler.

Esteban had been gone for five hours and I'd missed him dearly. I brought out my phone aa I approached the exit to the mansion.

He picked at second ring.

"Muffin."
"You said four hours Es."
"Miss me?"
"Very much so."
"I'll be with you in fifty minutes."
"Thats pretty precise." I chuckled. "Get me at Jake's,I'm on my way. Slept all through the day. I feel energized."
"I'm glad you've rested well Muffin. See you soon?"
"Sure. Love you."
"Love you too babe."

With that,I cut off the line.

**************

Jake,Maya,Vina and I were seated in the sitting room watching the Grammy awards when I heard my phone ring.
Reluctantly I picked it in my hand and answered when I saw Sophia's name illuminate the screen.

"Sophia." I said. "I'm so sorry you didn't hear from me,a lot has been going on."
"Thats alright Sarah. I heard about Es,Is he alright now?" She said in a sympathetic tone.
"Yeah He's fine,thanks." I answered.
"Josh just got back in town from a long vacation with my mom,He's asking to see his father and I cant reach Es,was wondering if you could connect us,please." She said.

I cringed a little at the thought of meeting Esteban's Son.

"Uhm er.... Yeah sure. But I'm afraid Es is out of town now,He'll be back in the next hour,I'll... Er... I'll call you when He's here." I said.

"Thank you so much Sarah. Waiting to hear from you." She said.

"Sure,Say me Hi to Josh." I said and replaced the call.

Since I had the conversation with Sophia,I've found myself oddly bereft of comfort,Jake must have sensed my tension.

"Baby girl,everything alright?" He asked.

"Ah yeah,Its just... Er... Esteban's Son is back in town,Sophia just called,He wants to see his dad." I said.

"Thats normal Sarah. Does it make you feel uncomfortable?" Maya asked,redirecting all her attention to me.
Vina was unperturbed,her attention still on the TV set.

"Its just,I don't know." I paused. "I don't know how I'm supposed to act with Josh,You know."

"Just be yourself,these things are normal. Look how I am with Vina. Its totally natural." Maya answered.

"Yeah Baby girl,Maya is right." Jake said.

"Okay,I'm just nervous." I wrapped my arms around my chest.

Just at the moment,we heard a knock.

"I'll get it,It's Es." I said as I got up to walk to the door.

I placed my hand on the handle and turned.
"Hey Muffin." Es greeted me with a hug,not letting me go. "Felt like I was gone for days." He said against my neck,nestling me tighter.

"How was your trip?" I asked,snatching away from his long hug.

"It was adventurous. You okay?" He asked,wrapping his palm around my neck and smoothing mildly all the way up my face.

"I'm fine." I shot him a forced smile. "Come on in."

We walked in as Esteban greeted Maya and Jake. He walked to Vina and picked her up.

"Who do we have here. Hello beautiful." He said. Vina smiled warmly at Him.

I watched Him converse fondly with Vina and I found that a poignant reminder of Josh.
Esteban was obviously a good father.