Strike

"So what now?"

Before you had the opportunity to put a suggestion forward, Dina came barrelling out of the store exit, a megaphone in hand and a wide grin covering her face. Marching through the centre of the crowd, Marcus pulled you gently into his side, bringing you out of Dina's way as she headed straight towards the back of a truck, climbing into the back and staring out at the crowd before her.

"Attention, please. Listen up. I have something I'd like to say." Dina commanded through the megaphone, the multitude of small conversations that had formed amongst you quickly quieting down. "I know you're scared. This is a big moment. But rest assured Cloud 9 will be fine without you."

"Come on." Amy groaned from in front of you, though unsurprised by Dina's actions - knowing she wouldn't have even expected them from herself less than an hour ago - she had still hoped she might have wanted to take a stand for Glenn.

"Anyway, I've demagnetized your key cards, and you will receive your final pay checks in the mail with the costs of your vests deducted from them. Nothing personal. I wish you all luck, but I've got a store to manage. Thank you. This really cheered me up." Dina jumped down from the truck, pushing her way through the crowd once again, the biggest, most genuine smile you had ever seen resting on her lips.

"Oh," Dina continued, bringing the megaphone back up to her lips once again as she suddenly stopped in front of you. "And have a heavenly day."

Tense silence settled across the crowd, surprised at the snark in which Dina's words had been delivered - surely she couldn't be that happy about Glenn going? About you being 'fired' for walking out in support of him? right?

Suddenly, the tense moment of surprise was broken by a loud, wet raspberry being blown from Glenn's mouth. "That's what I think of her."

"Yeah," Garret spoke up, nodding his head slowly in unsure agreement. "She's a fart noise."

At Garrets agreement, a chorus of raspberries began to be blown from the group of you who stood together outside of the store, defiant still despite Dina's threat that they were going to lose their jobs.

"Listen, who cares about Dina?" Amy asked, shouting so that everyone could hear her; your heart warmed at the sight, happy to see Amy taking on something that you never thought she would have. "We did it!"

Cheers came from all around you, yourself included, relishing in the moment of victory you felt right now, knowing that it probably wouldn't last as long as you hoped. Grabbing Amy by the shoulders, you span her around, pulling her into your chest as you wrapped her in a tight embrace. Pulling back, you held her at arms length, sharing a bright and genuine smile, before pulling her in close again and holding her tightly in your grasp. 

Marcus and Jonah watched from beside you, both watching with gentle smiles at the moment shared between you and Amy - the familial feel to it no different from what they were used to seeing between the two of you, yet new and different all the same. As the cheers began to quieten down, you pulled away from Amy yet again, though this time her arm rested across your lower back, keeping you close to her side.

"So do we just go home now?" Mateo asked, his face scrunching in confusion as to where to go from here. Though no one was exactly sure, you knew that this was only the beginning and that you weren't going to be entering the store any time son. 

At the lack of a response, people began to break off into groups, dissolving into conversations about anything and everything - leaving you stuck with Marcus. While you had only recently let go of his hand (the one you had held to pull him out of the store with you), you didn't feel comfortable to go out and grab it again now - things still felt tense between the two of you and you'd lost the momentum and courage you'd had from the walkout.