Dog Adoption Day

"Okay, I need two volunteers." Glenn chirped far too happily for it being 6am. Wincing at his loud tone, you brought a hand to your forehead, rubbing small circles into the flesh of your temple as though it would help ease out the tension there.

Taking slow and deep breaths, you considered whether it was worth the horribly distasteful flirting - if you could really call it that - from Tate, to try and get something to help. Bringing your new favourite mug to your lips, 'Least Insufferable Co-worker' in big black sharpie scrawled across it, you took a long sip of coffee. Ever thankful to Garret who'd had the cup ready for you as soon as you walked into the breakroom, you let a small smile settle across your face.

"Oh, right here, I'm first! Pick me!" Mateo cheered, too excited to be volunteering for some silly little task that Glenn wanted done - one that was probably going to suck.

"Okay, thank you, Mateo. Who else? Anyone?" Glenn's eyes scanned across the lengths of the breakroom, waiting for someone, anyone to make eye contact with him and offer themselves up for the task. "Garrett!"

"Yeah, I just wanted to say no." Your quizzical look was quickly dissolved as you let out a half-hearted chuckle which soon turned into a coughing fit: the last dregs of sickness still clawing onto you.

Silence fell over the breakroom at the loud coughs that racked your chest; both Garret and Jonah reaching out towards you and resting a hand on your back. Jonah began to rub up and down the length of your spine as Garret gently patted you, trying to help the coughs out. With a final spluttering cough, you took another sip of your coffee, swallowing down the flem that had built up in the back of your throat and settled deeper into your seat, wrapping your arms around yourself.

"You're all ingrates." Dina snapped suddenly, an accusing finger pointing at the crowd gathered in the breakroom, her gaze softening as it settled on you - nose red and burning hot to the touch and the occasional sniffle and cough or clearing of your throat making her heart melt. "Except y/n. I hope someone sets you all on fire, and you need a volunteer to put it out."

"It's too much for 6:00 a.m. Dina." Amy groaned from in front of you, her mug of coffee kept close up to her chest as she let out a tense huff.

"I don't think it's enough." Dina sassed back, never one to be impressed by her co-workers lack of motivation to work or do anything, it seemed.

"Okay, fine. I'll-" Jonah flashed you a pleading look, his bottom lip jutting out slightly more then usual as he mouthed at you a question - a silent plea to join him and not leave him alone with Mateo the whole day, or however long Glenn's mysterious task would take. A silent conversation was shared between the two of you; you hoping Jonah understood you'd just be keeping him company and not really doing any work, and Jonah agreeing to anything to keep his sanity. Leaning across the table he grabbed your hand, lifting it up for Glenn to see. "We'll do it."

Before Glenn could argue against your involvement, you nodded silently, confirming that you wanted to do whatever Jonah had signed you up for.

"Okay, thank you, Jonah and y/n. The two of you and Mateo will be in charge of our in-store dog adoption today." Cries of anguish and upset filled the breakroom, groans and whines of people who wished they'd taken Glenn up on his offer to play with puppies all day. "Yes, that's right. That volunteer job was desirable. That was a lesson. "And lo, the Samaritan, as he travelled, came to where...""

"6:00 a.m. Glenn." Amy whined, finding it too early to hear Glenn recite scripture on top of hid unusually cheery tone. You couldn't agree more.

"Okay, right. Anyway, while the rest of you are having normal, dog less days, these two selfless heroes will be in puppy heaven." Glenn rubbed salt into the wound, making sure everyone who hadn't volunteered really felt it and wished they'd had - hoping that in the future it would trick more of his employees into blindly signing up for stuff.