New Year's Eve {sub part}

"And he thinks that's okay?"

Amy's party playlist was blasting from your phone as your danced around the kitchen, grabbing bowls and plates from cupboards and placing them on the counter top. Grabbing the bagful of snacks you'd picked up as you'd left the store yesterday, you emptied it out, opening bags of chips pouring them into the bowls. Chocolate covered pretzels, m&m's, twizzler's bites and a pizza on the way filling the rest of the bowls and plates you'd pulled out of the cupboard.

You only had one matching set at the moment; four bowl, four plates and four mugs, all in cloud 9's signature glossy dolphin blue that Amy had spotted heavily discounted on the 'final chance' end cap. A couch you'd found at the goodwill near the store and a Tv stand and matching coffee table that looked like they were going to break if you looked at them too hard as well as Amy's tv that she'd let you keep. Your apartment was slowly, but surely, coming together; piece by little piece.

Balancing the mixture of bowls and plates on your arms you crossed the length of the room to the couch, Amy reaching up, took two of the plates, placing them down for you as you shimmied the others from your hold. Collapsing next to her on the couch, you pulled her head to rest against your shoulder, an arm wrapping around her and pulling her into your warmth as small sniffles escaped her.

"It's my fault."

"Ames." Hugging the older woman against you, she muffled her cries, Emma camped up in your bedroom only feet away, loudly talking down the phone at someone. But walls were thin, and Amy didn't want anyone to see her like that; not even you. Her head was tucked into a mixture of your shoulder and the back of the couch, hiding her face and muffling her sobs.

"I told him I wasn't happy. If I'd not said anything he wouldn't be sleeping in the basement."

"He's sleeping in the basement?" You gasped before you could help yourself; you knew Adam was bad, having spent just over a year living with him, but you didn't think he was that bad.
"Amy, listen. Adam's a douche."

"You've always thought that."

"Well, yeah, you got me there." Amy let out a small laugh, tears falling from her eyes as she bit back the smile that threatened to break out at your words. "But, my point is, you deserve better than that. Then him."

"I know you love him, but if he's not making you happy, then something needs to change. If this isn't the wake up call he needs, if he doesn't change because of this, then that's on him. It's not your fault." Amy sniffled into the crook of your neck, your hand rubbing up and down the length of her back soothingly.

Adam was not a nice guy - as far as you were concerned - and you'd be the first person to support his downfall. But Amy loved him, and you'd put up with him for her sake any day; except when whatever he was doing was making her feel like this. Amy was the best person you knew, and to see her so heart-crushingly upset was tearing you apart.

"Hey, push comes to shove, I can always just beat him up?"

Amy let out a heartier laugh this time, chocked sobs muffled between the sweet sound that slipped past her lips. Wiping furiously at the tears the streamed down her cheeks, your grabbed her hands, stopping their movement before wiping them away yourself, with a much gentler motion.

"You just, you never think it'll be you, y'know. Like the sleeping apart in the same house, the counselling. I just never thought I'd be here, it'd be us."

One hand moved to brush Amy's hair behind her ear, keeping it out of her eyes and her wet cheeks. Pulling her in for a tight hug, you rubbed circles into her back, letting her head burrow into your neck for comfort.