In the Midst of a Storm (3)

Even a storm cannot last forever.

________________________________________________________________________________

In the half-empty stadium, Ikki's declaration was prominent.

Heads turn, whispers turn into rumours which spread like a dangerous disease.

Shiro sees it all.

The expression of a guilty man flickers so quickly, from disbelief to mockery, to anger, and to arrogance, before it deflates to make-believe courage.

"You don't have the authority as a lawyer-"

"With all the evidence I have from affiliated businesses with Totsuki. petition from the public, and from both of your daughters," Ikki reveals with a sharp tone near the end.

"What do you think?"

It sinks in.

Nakiri Azami looks around. Then his eyes land on Nakiri Erina, and then on Saiba Shiro.

No words, just stares (pleas).

But both of them just stare right back without moving.

"Haha...all of this was an act." He directs his statement to Shiro.

"It was a tiring act."

Her eyes reflected weariness that shouldn't be there. Too old and too wise for her age.

Her dad puts a hand on her shoulder.

"But it was the best way to get you to talk to me honestly and confess your reasons." Shiro pulls out her phone.

She doesn't hesitate to reveal their conversations, from his claims that he would do anything to achieve his dream, to him knowing what's best for his daughter when it clearly isn't. She doesn't miss the ways his eyes shook in panic, as if he really could not believe all of their conversations were held against him.

"Yami-" He calls her, but she does not respond.

Shiro rolls her sleeves up a bit to reveal the many little bruises on her wrists from the times he grabs her wrists suddenly or forcefully.

"I can't believe it..."

"How could a member of the Nakiri family do such a thing!"

"This is terrible..."

"Will it happen to us?"

"I don't want to be here..."

When the brainwashing disappears, all that is left is the truth.

Gasps. Whispers. Rumours. Agreements. Yells.

"Nakiri Azami! How dare you ruin our family's honour!" Nakiri Senzaemon fumes in the midst of all that chaos, all for him to be ignored.

"Shiro!" Despite the worry and panic from her family, she observes the reaction of the guilty. Perhaps all of this was accidental, or unintentional, but no one would care as long as they see evidence of harm in any form.

Nakiri Azami's eyes shook as if he could not believe he inflicted harm on a child, a child of a childhood friend. Despite the calm exterior, Shiro could see him bite his lips and his body tremble.

Perhaps it was from public scorn.

Shiro no longer has the capability to care.

"Shiro, why, why didn't you tell me?!" The father and son duo questions her with nothing less than genuine care and worry. They fuss over her, and she repeatedly reassures them.