Return

The quick pace running of footsteps through puddles resonated through the allies. Thunder echoed in the sky, rain lashing at a figure sprinting around the corner. They stopped under a small overhang, catching their breath, which now could be seen with the dropping temperature.

 They shuddered. 

An overhead door rattled open, the figure looked over, seeing the light from inside. They sighed and hurried over, crawling beneath the small gap to get in. They felt the air become warmer instantly. 

"Someone get that door closed, you're letting in the storm." A worker shouted.

Quickly dogging behind a crate, the figure sighed, exhaustion evident from being on the streets for a while. The overhead door closed, they were trapped inside, unless they were to get to the main exit. Footsteps were heard coming closer, quickly, the figure headed into a nearby vent. 

A small beep came from their wrist. They looked down to see a small watch, one they had with them for some time now. It flashed before booting up, they could see the security feed from the cameras. That could mean only one thing.

They took a right, then a left. An orangish glow started to come in view. They peeked through a vent covering, they've seen this room before. They quickly turned back and dropped down through another vent, just into the room over.

It was dark, like a supply closet, but the glow from the recharge station illuminated everything fairly well. They stood at the door that led into the room, they were hesitant. They checked their watch, noting that the place was still open. Taking a step back, they found a spot under a shelf to wait out the closing time. In the meantime, they switched through the cameras, seeing what was going on at the moment. 

"..Come again soon"  were the words that woke up the figure that had fallen asleep under the shelf.

From the other room, they heard someone enter. Now was their chance. They stood up and walked up to the door. Pressing a button next to the wall, the door opened. They stepped inside the rockstar's room, the familiar orange walls, knick-knacks, and plushies scattered about.

They looked toward the vanity mirror, there stood the friendly bear they knew. They walked up to him and tapped his arm to gain his attention.

He looked down.

"G-Gregory?!" He questioned, shocked to see the boy here again.

"Hi, Freddy."

Freddy kneeled to embrace the small boy with a hug. 

"What are you doing here? and why are you soaked?" he asked, noticing Gregory's drenched clothing.

"I was caught in the rain outside..and I came through an open door down in the loading docks."

Freddy sighed, ruffling Gregory's hair. He grabbed a blanket that had been flung over the couch and wrapped the boy up.

"Freeeeddy" Gregory groaned as he was smothered in the blanket like a burrito.

"You're going to get sick if you don't dry off." 

Gregory huffed as Freddy picked him up.

"Why were you out in the rain in the first place? Aren't you with your parents?"

Gregory went quiet, avoiding the concerned gaze from the bear. 

"Gregory, you did find your parents right?"

"I...I don't have parents..." 

"You're an orphan?" Freddy expressed in disbelief, "You've been on the streets then haven't you."

Gregory nodded, "It's not that bad once you get used to it, sure the weather sucks...and you don't have a home...and food isn't as good"

"A child does not belong on the streets though, it's dangerous."

Gregory stared at him, "so is spending a night running from killer robots and a rabbit, but I survived that didn't I."

Freddy rolled his eyes, "yes, but I was there to help you."

There was a knock at the door, followed by it being opened. It was Chica. 

"Hey, Freddy you haven't happened to know if-" she stared at Freddy then at Gregory, "What you got there?"

"A Child?"

Gregory pulled the blanket over his face, the last time he saw that chicken was when he shoved her into the trash compactor. Freddy tightened his grip on him in reassurance. 

"Where are his parents?" She asked, a little concerned for the boy.

"He doesn't have any." an audible gasp could be heard from Chica.

"Then who's been taking care of him?" she asked, Freddy started to consider something.

Gregory, seeing that Chica was not how he remembered her to be, peeked out of the blanket. Chica came closer, noting his damp clothing still.

"He's gonna catch a cold if he stays in those clothes any longer, you might want to do something about that." She suggested heading back out of the room.

"Right I'll- and she's gone." 

He looked at Gregory, "Guess we're heading to the gift shop then superstar."

Freddy headed out of his room, still carrying the burrito child. While heading to the gift shop they ran into Monty.

"Watch it!" he hissed, glaring at them as he passed. 

"Is he always that angry?" Gregory asked, peeking over Freddy's shoulder in the direction Monty went.

"Unfortunately yes," he said annoyed slightly, "but don't worry, he won't hurt you as long as you're with me."