Beneath the Scales

The walk to Gator Golf was silent. Cody was too petrified to even dare and start a conversation. Granted, that didn't stop a few guests from saying hi to the gator in front of him. Monty seemed nice around the kids, allowing them to get pictures and such.

Finally, they made it, however, Monty immediately ditched the new guy and walked off before Cody could realize it.

Cody sighed, he dodged a few rogue golf balls before slipping away into another part of the course. He found a decent-sized pond and sat at the edge of the water, letting his legs dip in a little.

"So I taken things aren't going well?" It was Sam.

She swam up to the edge.

"No, I think he hates me or something." He put his head in his hands.

"Why do you say that?" She questioned.

"Well for starters, I'm a crocodile and he's an alligator. Our designs aren't that different, if anything he probably thinks I'm going to replace him or something!" Cody snapped a little.

"Hey calm down, you don't know that for sure. You're getting yourself worked up over probably nothing." She warned.

"Sorry, you're right." He took a deep breath.

"Why don't you go talk with him." She suggested.

"I would, but I have no idea where he went."

They heard a clang above them. Looking up they could make out someone walking on the catwalks.

"I think he's up there." Sam pointed out.

"No shit Sherlock," he mumbled.

Cody immediately got drenched by a splash from the seal.

"Language!" She glared.

"Sorry," he got up, looking to find a way onto the catwalks.

After a few minutes of searching, he finally found a set of stairs, he probably walked past them five times already, they were blended in with the area.

The height advantage made everything seem different. Cody gazed down at the people playing the course, a few parents helping their kids hit the ball properly.

He turned away from the railing and went to look for the gator. It started to get a little creepy when he heard and saw nothing.

'What was this guy's name again?' He thought to himself, 'oh right.'

"Montgomery, you up here?" He called out.

Somewhere on his right, he heard a hiss.

Cody walked over, finally seeing the gator sitting on the platform, legs hanging over the edge, while his head rested on the railing.

Cody took a deep breath, walking over to him. He hesitated before sitting down.

Monty glanced at him but remained silent.

They sat there for a minute or so in silence, it was getting tense for Cody.

"So uh...d-do you play an i-instrument?" Cody stuttered, terrified of the guy next to him.

Monty gave a huff, visible steam emitting from his exhale.

Cody could already picture his body being thrown over the edge. His anxiety worsening.

"I play bass." The deep sudden voice made him jump.

Monty looked at him, seeing the amount of fear the reptile had in his eyes. Monty's gaze softened, a painful memory threatening to resurface. He looked away from the kid, going back to staring off into nothing.