Chapter 22

I woke up in the morning sitting up in Josh's bed alone and dazed. I tried to shake my sleepy haze off. I slowly get up out of bed dragging myself to the bathroom. I walk in supporting myself on the counter since I'm about to fall over. Being half asleep does that to you. I turn on the sink running cold water, cupping my hands I fill them with water splashing it on my dry face. I thought that might've helped me wake up but, it just made me feel cold. I sigh hanging my head, why do I feel like absolute shit? A soft knock on the door causes me to jump.

"Sweetheart, are you in there?" I hear Josh ask.

I place my hand on my chest trying to steady my rapidly beating heart. I look at myself in the mirror taking in my disheveled appearance. I look almost as bad as I feel.

"Yeah." I say my voice coming out raspy.

I open the door to reveal a tired looking Josh. He must've came into his room last night after I fell asleep and grabbed some pajamas. I avert my gaze quickly as I walk past him back to his bedroom. I crawl onto the bed and attempt to hide under the covers. Of course Josh has other plans for me. I hear him walk into the room, pulling the blankets off of me revealing me to him which I was trying to avoid. I groan and turn onto my stomach burying my face into the pillows.

"What's wrong?" Josh asks sitting on the edge of the bed.

"What's wrong? What do you think is wrong!? Last night I found out that my disgusting ex is practically stalking me! On top of that I feel like shit and all I want to do is hide from everyone for a while but, you can't let me do that, can you!?" I yell at him. I see his face twist into what I think is sadness.

"Sorry for wanting to make sure my fucking girlfriend is okay!" He yells right back at me. Maybe i was wrong, I think he's actually angry.

"Yeah, you should be because I don't want to be around you right now." I say sitting up and glaring at him. I regret that as soon as the words leave my mouth.

"What the fuck did I do!? The last thing I said to you last night was I love you. You just ran in here and balled your eyes out for no fucking reason. Did you ever think that maybe I don't want to be around you right now?"

Suddenly I don't regret saying that to him.

"Are you serious? I would think there was a reason your girlfriend ran away crying after you said I love you to her. Of course you didn't think to go after her and ask her what was wrong. No you just sat there like an idiot and didn't have the balls to confront her until the next day!"

"Fine! Tell me why then!" He says throwing his hands up in the air.

"Because the last time someone told me they loved me they beat the living shit out of me!" I scream at him. It finally dawns on him. He looks like someone just slapped him in the face. Good.

"Em, I didn't realize-" I cut him off.

"No! I don't really care what you have to say right now. You said it yourself; you don't want to be around me so, I should go." I say scrambling off the bed and walk out into the living room.

I grab my boots off the floor stuffing the bottom of my pant legs into them as I forcefully pull them onto my feet. I snatch my jacket off the coat rack, angrily stuffing my arms into the arms.

"Don't go. I'm sorry I was being-" I cut him off once again.

"A jerk? An idiot? An asshole? A douche bag?" I list off. "I'm pretty sure you were being all of those." I yank the door open and start walking down the hallway.

I hear Josh running after me. He grabs my arm turning me back around. I push his arm off of me turning back around trying to get away from him.

"Please, I'm sorry. I was being a douche. It just didn't hit me until you said it." He says following me down the stairs.

I figured that'd be easier since he'd probably follow me into the elevator which would just be awkward for me. I try to ignore his pleas as I walk through the lobby. People send Josh and I weird glances as he keeps trying to stop me from leaving and I just try to push him away. I push open the front doors of the apartment complex letting the cold morning air wash over me.

"Stop trying to walk away from me! I said I was sorry, what more do you want?" Josh asks.

I continue to ignore him as I begin to walk onto the parking lot.

"EMMA, WATCH OUT!" Josh cries.

I turn around to see him with a terrified look on his face. Then the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life takes over my entire being. Someone hit me with their car. After the car finishes running me over I can faintly hear their tires screech as they speed away from the scene. Josh rushes to my side. He wraps his arms around my now mangled, bloody body. He kisses my face over and over again.

"You'll be okay. Everything will be alright, Sweetheart. I love you. Don't go. Stay with me." He repeats over and over again hysterically, tears streaming down his face.

I feel myself to slowly start to slip away from everything, everyone, this excruciating pain, the people gathered around us trying to call 911, and from Josh.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The song is called 'Always Attract by: You Me at Six'

Feedback?