Safe

When denial and embarrassment teamed up, they produced the following stupidly cute words out of you: "no, he had no magnitude

When denial and embarrassment teamed up, they produced the following stupidly cute words out of you: "no, he had no magnitude."

Dazai snorted out, "he may not, but his ability worked like so: imagine that this eggroll is you," he brought up the piece to your frowning face with chopsticks, "if it was real, I would be able to squeeze it hard enough to cut it in two. But it wasn't. It's just a mirage. And I, thanks to my amazing ability, was not just able to see it like everyone else. I was able to taste it... and remember it," he ended with the piece in his mouth and a wide, knowing grin.

You swallowed, looking down at your plate and implementing the tease's explanation into a realistic scenario.

Since the precense of (Y/N) in the past was a figment of the user's ability, Dazai didn't nullify his ability entirely and sent you back to the present when he touched you. The effect, regrettably, was only nullified on his part, resulting in the addition of that scandalous night to his memory. Along with everything that fell before and after it which would explain how he knew where to find you and save you from drowning.

The frown only transitioned from acknowledgement to despair as you sighed and a palm fell on your face. Soon, your head started shaking again, "no, no. I don't believe it." you dismissed with a shake of the hand as well, "no."

"Aww, you're just in denial~!" the suicidal maniac babied. "It's okay, after that stage comes acceptance!" he cheered.

"No! You just skipped three stages," you almost whined. There were still anger, bargaining and depression to go through before you reach acceptance. In fact, Dazai is making speedy work of your progress by helping you into anger at the moment.

At this point, you were just a hormonal woman with many emotions in her hands and agency's clown found delight in it.

"And you skipped three dates before sleeping with me," he replied sassily, further damaging your psychological state.

"Ah! No!" you cried, feeling completely antagonised by this insensitive trickster.

These jokes.

They were the main reason you prayed to everything divine and holy Dazai wouldn't know about your encounter with him in the past.

"If it makes you feel any better, on that night, I turned 18. So it was like my first gift going into adulthood."

You gaped, hands going about in disbelief, "no. I don't feel better! This just means I had sex with a minor!"

"Pfft, you're so old fashioned."

"No. You know what? I'm going to kill you, then die," you finalised, recovering from the helplessly emotional woman you were.

Dazai lit up as he giggled shyly at the prospect, "this might as well be a proposal~!"

"No, I forgot you liked that," you mumbled sadly, falling back into despair yet again. But only worse since you started mumbling incoherences with your hands going everywhere and tearless sobs of agony joined the mix.

"Mhm, awww totally relate," Dazai sympathised with a hand on his heart. The very heart that only found your state so endearing it fluttered and egged him on to further tease.

But he figured he should do you justice with some reassurance, the teasing can resume later.

"I know how you feel."

"What?" you looked up at Dazai with a frown, pausing your serial mumbling.

"You only know how someone feels when you feel it too," he stated as a carefree smile touched his lips.

Anyone would boldly assume it was the blossoming feelings of love or perhaps just a liking; however, whenever you were with Dazai— especially as of late— there was always one word roaming your restless heart.

"Safe?" you dared to whisper the vulnerablity of a word with the looming doubt and fear shadowing your features.

Dazai's hand stretched to yours on the table, squeezing it gently as his thumb caressed the smoothness of your skin, his eyes glimmered earnestly for a second before twinkling with mischief, "you feel safe with me?"

An urge rushed up in you to withdraw your hand from his— no matter how wonderful it felt— but all you did was turn out to be a deer caught in the headlights.

A blushing deer.

"See? I did say you were a bad liar," the brunet referred to your previous statement about being glad it was Akutagawa you ran into and not the executive, Dazai Osamu. "At least with me, you're an exceptionally bad one."