The Secrets Underneath Gum

One minute

One minute.

That's all the time your brain took to come up with 100 scenarios to take place in your future.

Needless to say, they were all terrifying.

Which lead to you standing helplessly, looking around the messy living-room and almost tripping over a bottle on the ground. The place was extremely quiet and a bit too dark for your liking.

You could make out the evident claw marks on the wallpaper and couch sending an unpleasant chill down your spine. It's not like you couldn't fend for yourself, but this kind of setting wasn't really your thing. You were never a fan of hide-and-seek, especially when you're the one out in the open.

"Dazai-san..." you mumbled to yourself taking small steps further into the flat keeping your senses on alert.

As you were passing by a room and into the corridor, a hand took a hold of your arm and pulled you in completely paralysing with fear.

"I'm here," Dazai whispered eerily into your ear.

"Dazai-san!" You yelled getting away from him.

He snorted before having a mini laughing fit at your fright.

"Real funny," you muttered ignoring his laughter and looking around at the extremely clean room. You frowned at the peculiarity.

Anyone'd think the bedroom would be the messiest, but it's quite the opposite which made you think that the criminal might have lived with someone.

"He clearly has no control over his gift." Dazai said as a matter-of-fact as he looked at a framed picture on the dresser.

"That's pretty obvious what with how the living-room looks, but what about this room. It seems like it's not his at all."

"Oh, it is. He doesn't only have no control over his gift, he doesn't have any control over who he is."

You walked up to Dazai eyeing a framed picture of two identical-looking men on the dresser. "Twins? Are you saying that he's impersonating his twin?"

"The victim was the criminal's lover, so naturally the family knows a thing or two about him. They did say that he mentioned a brother, but they claimed to never having seen him," Dazai informed you and turned to you.

"They describe the criminal to be a stable, intelligent and neat gentleman who never drank and isn't seen without a sanitiser," you recalled.

"Right! And since most of the house, especially the living-room, is in a mess, it leaves us with the fact that the messy sibling is our criminal," Dazai concluded.

You twisted your hand at Dazai in confusion, "what makes you say that? It's true that anyone who's living alone would most likely be in their living-room or the kitchen, but this guy has a twin." Suddenly, you fell into deep thought and bit on your thump's nail, "twins can be comfortable enough, though. What if the other twin is an accomplice?!"

After coming up with that conclusion, you turned to Dazai in alert only to find him standing in awe as a sigh of admiration escaped him, "You're too cute when you get your lil' brain going~!"

"D-Dazai-san!" You yelled his name once again in embarrassment and frustration.

"You didn't really have to think into it THAT much. The other twin is dead," his hands slipped into his pockets as he spoke with seriousness in his tone. "There's a memorial of him," the brunette nodded towards the closet.

Instantly, you examined the closet to verify his claims and to find any clues. When your search proved fruitless, you checked every other place and only found something interesting in the drawer of the cabinet.

"Eww..." you grimaced and immediately felt a presence behind you, looking at what you were scowling at.

"Isn't that artistic," Dazai said to the neat arrangement of colourful, chewed gum stuck to the bottom of the drawer.

"It's a layer of something, actually," you noticed a white sheet of paper visible in the inter-spaces of the gum, unlike the brown colour of the cabinet.

"Oh, yeah? Then take it off~!