Welcome Back!

Slowly your eyes opened to gaze into the blurred image of a man positioned right in front of you

Slowly your eyes opened to gaze into the blurred image of a man positioned right in front of you. With each blink, a pair of auburn eyes glazed with a shine of relief and excitement came into focus.

"Aaaand she's alive!" you heard what ought to be in the highest volume but seemed to be extremely low to your drowned olfactory sense. A chain of murmurs followed to which you could never completely discern.

The world seemed to circle for a moment around the fog of your head as you fought with all your might against the stubborn pull of gravity. You were eventually successful in sitting up but not without the help of a steady hand on your back.

Before you stood Fukuzawa, his hands sliding into his green yukata as he gazed down on you with a relieved smile and next to him was a man you recognised but failed to recall.

The unknown man heaved a sigh and dropped his shoulders, "over the 26 years of using this ability, never have I ever dealt with a drowned subject. You sure gave my heart a workout."

Noticing the confusion morphed on your face, a velvety, teasing voice clarified originating from your right, "your trip to the past~"

Your head snapped to him, "D-Dazai?!"

"The one and only," a wicked grin stretched on his face while yours took on different stages starting with surprise, confusion and embarrassment. Everything that took place in the past 48 hours came rushing to you reviving every numb spot on your body.

You couldn't hold his gaze any longer while all those images flashed through your head, so your eyes immediately landed on the leader of the Armed Detective Agency and the man next to him who had now become all the more familiar.

"Congratulations, you pass," Fukuzawa announced after regaining your attention.

"Pass? Pass what?"

"Ahem- your entrance exam!" said the man.

"That... that was my entrance exam?" you choked pointing a trembling finger to the sea.

Fukuzawa only nodded to your statement as the man went on, "yeaaaah, Fukuzawa-san asked of me this favour and I couldn't really refuse now and-" He babbled on and on as you mouth was hung open with shock and your head formulated different scenarios for a reaction.

Scenario #1:

"HOW COULD YOU?!" you yelled sobbing loudly and dramatically before dropping on Dazai's lap.

"Aww, there there, Princess," a bandaged hand patted your head and you responded with a monstrous growl of a sob. "Yes, yes. Let it all out."

Scenario #2:

You spoke gibberish, your face crushed with pain and your hands did all the explaining of everything you went through.

"Oh my, really?" Dazai replied, shock danced on every expressive part of his being. "How horrid."

Fukuzawa finalised, "you need help."

Scenario #3:

Dejectedly, you tossed the trench coat off your body and crawled back into the direction of the sea resembling the most terrifying antagonist of a horror story.

"NOOOOOO! Don't leave me behind!" Shrieked Dazai while posing femininely on the dock with an outstretched hand towards you and watery, big eyes.

"I think she needs another kiss~!"

"What?"

"Shhh, remain unresponsive," Dazai whispered with innocent mischief while leaning closer to your face.

You sighed and instantly stood up escaping from the red that was threatening to bloom on your face, but your feet wobbled about failing to carry your weight. Just as you were about to topple over, you were pushed gently back into Dazai's chest.

"Oh, what could you do without me."

Dazai may have sounded comical, but that statement seemed far deeper in meaning than you'd have liked it to be. The shudder you experienced definitely reached him as he picked up his trench coat and wrapped it around you while your eyes were studying him carefully as if it was the first time they have laid on him, "I'll take you home."

"Huh? No, umm... what of...?" You turned to confront Fukuzawa but found him nowhere, neither was the man. Like they were never there to begin with. As your eyes landed on every spot within your line of vision, a firm arm held your waist, anchoring you to reality and attracting you to its owner's presence.

"Don't worry, Darling, everything is okay."