Epilogue: A Soapy Confession

"Dazai-san!" you complained, hip hitting his to push him away from your work.

"(Y/N)-chan!" Dazai mimicked your whine, hitting back with his hip.

"Let me wash the dishes in peace," you requested, scrubbing the pot vigorously. Thanks to Dazai's explicit distractions, this particular pot suffered a nasty burn.

For the umpteenth time, you let yourself go to this man and the only regret you felt was to this sorry pot.

Dazai huffed haughtily, waving a soapy spoon, "you're welcome."

The foam from the spoon spat on your face, making your eyes clinch shut.

A resigned cheerful phrase rolled out of you, "thank you, Dazai-san~"

"Much better," Dazai mused before frowning at what you call him, "it's been a year, can't you drop the formality?"

"It's been a year?" you repeated, somewhat baffled.

"I was expecting a cute call of my name; but yes, a year."

A year.

365 days.

With Dazai.

Unconsciously, the words slipped out of your mouth, the scrubbing ceased altogether, "it's been a year? With you?"

"You're heartless," Dazai deadpanned.

You instantly turned to his stone cold sneer, "no! I meant, I didn't expect us to last this long."

The man's sneer only turned more sour if it were possible.

"I mean! I meaaaan..." you dragged the word out, thinking of a way to phrase this properly. "I just didn't think you'd stay this long. I thought you'd move on to someone else or... just end it and I was okay with that. Expecting it even."

"That's cruel."

You chuckled nervously and mumbled a soft-spoken apology while resuming the scrubbing; albeit less vigorously.

"You said you felt safe back then," Dazai recalled, hinting at something more.

Before you said so, he baited you by saying he felt what you felt.

Safety is what he felt, indeed.

Dazai came to comprehend the fact every person has necessities.

A place, food, drink and a society.

Then, one starts prioritising one over the other. Favouriting these necessities.

A favourite place, favourite food, favourite drink and a favourite person.

They let their guards down to these favourites, not because they're physically dangerous, but simply because they won't make a spectacle of an enigma— a person's truest self.

Sooner or later, the feeling of being on guard becomes foreign and one can't imagine ever doing it again. For stripped of all glamour and pretenses, favourites answer with the rare solace of kinship.

Every time these favourites react to one's inner dwellings so tenderly and preciously... liking twists into a more intense feeling.

Your eyes sneeked a peek at Dazai, awaiting what codes he had to spin out and what underling meaning you had to figure out.

The brunet sighed heartily, almost hsukily, igniting your core, "you do realise you're my favourite person, right?"

"I am?" you questioned, feigning ignorance to calm the rising heat on your face. "I could've sworn it's Kunikida-san."