A Distraction

"Now that you had Snickers, I have the right to ask," you whispered

"What does a chocolate bar have to do with anything?" came an irked reply.

"You're not you when you're hungry," implied a cheerful voice amusedly.

Kunikida, Dazai and you were currently hiding behind a beat-down sofa whispering among yourselves while keeping your eyes on a tied down female quivering before some male. The scenario was definitely inspired by a tale you heard before, but you couldn't quite tell by who or how the tale might've ended. However, that was the least of your worries since all you cared about was why you were involved in the first place.

Kunikida questioned turning to the brunette, "What's that now?"

Eyebrows furrowed, the bandaged man started, "a study conducted on human behaviours shows that when a person is hungry, they tend to behave like the worst influence in their life, thus the perfect blend of nuts and chocolate is recommended on a daily basis."

"Are you serious?" the blond asked, shocked.

Oh, no.

And here comes the infamous line: "You should write that down, Kunikida-kun."

You stared blankly as the blond man wrote every word of it on his notebook and Dazai waited for the perfect moment to deliver the finishing line, "I'm just messing with you~!"

The man almost wrinkled a page of his ideal notebook and was about to stick the broken part of his pen in Dazai's throat if it weren't for you snatching it away and offering him yours.

"Hey! Why does he get to be patted on the back?" Dazai whined childishly keeping his eyes on your hand that was soothing the seething blonde.

"Because that woman has nothing to do with your childish antics," you whispered not even bothering to show any sign of energy. "Now, why am I involved in this? Since the agency is taking over, this man is obviously not normal, still that doesn't make him a threat that two grown men can't handle."

"Well..." Kunikida started only to have his partner take over confidently.

"Here's the thing. We did try rescuing this woman but she instantly mistook us for mean bullies and ran away making her easy to be caught again by this man," Dazai informed cheerfully. "Who could blame the poor thing when someone as rough and serious like Kunikida-kun chases her," he sighed sympathetically with his hands holding his cheeks taking the role of an emotional high school girl.

Before Kunikida could smack him across the face, you replied with: "So?"

"So, my Dear Angel," the brunette began, taking advantage of the opportunity to hold your hands, "we ask the help of a people specialist to comfort the woman once we rescue her."

"Basically," an interruption buzzed through your exchange with Dazai making you turn to face the blond man. "We want you as a decoy."

"Distraction," Dazai redressed holding your chin and turning your eyes back to him. "The most effective distraction," he added suggestively with a smirk.

Your face heated up in alert and your stomach dropped with the sudden wave of anxiousness that invaded your senses. If it weren't for Kunikida repositioning himself between the two of you, your heart would've overworked itself to death.

As Dazai complained about how jealous the blond was, you placed a hand on your chest and took a deep breath to calm yourself.

"Huh? What are you doing now?!" Kunikida's whispered shout awakened you from your short-lived meditation. "Get in there already!" He commanded, pushing you lightly out of the sheltering shadow of the sofa.

Instantly, you got on your feet deciding to act neutral so as to not let the kidnapper suspect your company. It wasn't clear exactly what you were supposed to do, but you thought it best to act like a normal civilian who's come to investigate.

"Hey!" you called for the man's attention attempting to use the typical, die-hard justice fan who usually stick their necks in situations that appear bigger than they seem.

Now that you were reminded of these people and the aftermath of their heroic scenario, a thought had struck you that perhaps Dazai and Kunikida needed a decoy because this man's power was too dangerous to handle while he's on the defensive. There's no way that two experienced agents can't handle a terrified woman.

They should've thought of a better lie.

The whole situation was a wreck of unexplainable events, but you weren't in a safe position to mull over it. As a result, being the powerless person you were, your body couldn't help but tremble a bit.

"What have we here?" the man asked wickedly, running his predatory eyes over his new guest.

~~~~~

This chapter is not sponsored by Snickers.