Somewhere New

Slowly, you regained consciousness and your eyes struggled to separate their glued lids

Slowly, you regained consciousness and your eyes struggled to separate their glued lids. A headache so predominant occupied a part of your head making you groan as you worked on sitting up to rub your eyes. Once the sensitivity of your eyes adjusted to the dim brightness of the place, you peered around the confined place of iron walls.

You could lucidly remember the rescue mission, but with this current state, you started to doubt whether that was truly the last event you participated in before losing consciousness. It wasn't clear, yet there was a nagging feeling hinting of a memory you experienced right before fainting.

'In some cases,' you were finally able to retrieve a memory of the kidnapper enunciating a complex monologue into your ears like an intoxicating drug, lulling you to sleep. Feeling the urgency to recall his words, you strained your brain until, gradually, one fraction of memory attracted the other in the making of a whole: 'A miracle takes place in which soul-twins exist at the same place and time. You'd think: what a relief to have a doppelganger. A second life. Unfortunately, reality disagrees. Our reality can't fathom such cases and, like every error, chooses to erase both of them.'

A vague image of the man's twisted smile broke through the clearing haze on your mind. One, where he closes in on you and orders lethally, 'eradicate one for the sake of the other! Clear the course of history.'

"What the heck?" you questioned getting on your feet only to recoil at the unexpected sound of a foghorn. "A ship?" you guessed to yourself as your arms sprung to embrace your figure.

Now that you can dedicate your senses entirely to the place, you can hear the soft tide of the sea and far, masculine voices of seamen going about their business. Still, with all that deduction you didn't feel safe strutting out of wherever you were to wherever you will be. Yet, it was obvious that you couldn't stay here for long. Logic forced you to gather up your courage and come out of what now appears to be an inter-modal container.

Hands rubbing your arms, you walked further from the place, occasionally turning to look at back at the container.

You wished your paranoia was trivial and that all this was just a joke done by anyone from the agency, but that soon was shattered when you felt an item clinging to the sole of your shoe.

It was a page out of a newspaper.

None of the titles appealed to you except the date at the very top of the paper.

The paper dated back to four years ago.

That didn't faze you, however. You thought that it was simply an old newspaper that found its way to the port and you proceeded on your way to the agency dismissively dropping the paper.

"Excuse me, sir."

In the end, you went with your intuition and decided to inquire. Just for assurance, you'd tell yourself prior to approaching a man standing alone with a cigar in his meaty hand.

"What date is today?"

The man grunted and, without warning, tossed a newspaper to your fumbling hands. You pressed your lips and gave the cackling man a look before ignoring him to check on the date.

You swallowed the growing lump in your throat as your eyes reflected the same date you saw earlier.

Did you really go back in time?

Was it that kidnapper's ability?

If so, why this date in particular?

Millions of questions were about to roll out of your tongue for the stranger, but a voice so heavy with authority broke into your desperate attempt with a question that you wished you could answer: "what business do you have here?"

Instantly, you turned to meet the harsh, skeptical gaze of a male in black and black hair that fell to white.

"Umm... I was about to ask this gentleman for directions," you answered coming up with the most believable lie. "It was supposed to be a short walk, but I ended up in a maze of cargo."

The man didn't seem quite convinced with your reasoning, thus you ended up being examined by his heavy-set, grey eyes from head to toe as you fidgeted uncomfortably. After what seemed like centuries of this torment, he finally ordered and you had a feeling that rejecting him would be the first ticket to a hell you were better off not experimenting.

"Follow me."