The Unfortunate Kitten Feels Fortunate

"Again

"Again... Thank you. I'll make sure to pay you back for this," you whispered after turning around and meeting the executive with a grateful, gentle smile.

Not only did his kindness tend to your spent body, the executive offered a change of clothes with questionable taste and three hidden facts to them.

While the flowy skirt you donned seemed fairly new, the turtleneck wasn't for it belonged to the ginger since shopping for a whole new fit was time wasted from nursing a patient and, evidently, the proud mafia executive was not willing to admit that anytime soon.

The other fact was one you weren't willing to confront as the turtleneck, strangely enough, seemed to be a great fit.

Whether you were happy or concerned about the fact a man's top fits you is still debatable as it was a first and it probably implied you've put on some weight. But for the sake of peace, you assumed it was an old top that no longer fits Nakahara.

On top of the waist-high skirt and turtleneck, a jacket was also offered, more like tossed, to you to complete the look. You couldn't possibly complain about the outfit your care-giver picked, but you were still somewhat surprised at what a stylish man had chosen for an outfit.

Fashion be damned.

At least you won't end up strolling the streets with ripped and bloodied clothes and that's good enough for you, at the moment.

The third fact was the mystery of the outfit choice, a mystery Nakahara would rather die than admit as it was somewhat sensitive on his part.

After you adamantly insisted on not prolonging your stay, the ginger had proposed to accompany you home; however, being the overly grateful person you were, you refused the company. Resulting in Nakahara devising the perfect outfit to keep you out of harm's way.

Your bandaged injuries were concealed, both your shoulder and collar, and you weren't wearing anything revealing to entice any drunkards or perverts in this dangerous part of town and at this darkening time of day.

The executive hadn't the slightest idea on why he had to take all of these measures to secure your safety, but an urge egged him on and he complied.

The feeling was rare and not the least bit detestable, yet could be misinterpreted if dwelled upon. Thus, Nakahara, with the history of your life he knew of, regarded you as nothing but an unfortunate kitten that managed to keep the life and sparkle in her shiny eyes and he helped the kitten out of the goodness of his heart.

The kitten was unfortunate as it is for falling into Dazai Osamu's trap, that Nakahara could vouch for with all his being.

What was sadder to the disapproving executive is the kitten is completely oblivious to the trap and he wasn't about to get nosy by voicing out his opinions any more than he already did. He figured you a woman capable of fending herself in any situation and if that didn't hold any truth, you would've been six feet under with the Port Mafia as the undertaker.

While you were unaware of the executive's disapproving thoughts, you did notice a definite change in attitude after he dropped his enlightening insight about his suicidal former partner.

You didn't know what made Nakahara's confident tone a tad bit calmer, but that didn't change the fact that you were ever so grateful to this god-sent creature and for— oh, so many things.

Your head was clear, conscience ready to relent and heart aware of its bearer and that's all thanks to this encounter.

If only the executive knew how deep your gratitude stretched, it would've made your job to repay him a bit simpler.

The unfortunate kitten was fortunate for the first time in a long time.

Nakahara sighed and responded indifferently, leaning on his flat's door with crossed arms, "no need. Just do yourself a favour and keep your head above water."

You smiled with glinting, clear eyes, "too late."