Chapter Seven

Nothing could've prepared her for the wallop of those eyes, cognac brown and endless. Sarah breathed a sigh of relief as soon as the wedding was over. A great burden was finally off her shoulder. Now there was another major one. The mission her father had slapped her with; Sanjeev had made her sign a contract yesterday, which stated, that she was bound by law to bring the necessary document of Isabella Group that he wanted badly, within two months of the marriage. If, however, she failed, she would be dragged out by him and then forcefully be sold off to Abraham.

She had signed on it, signing away her right to live. The contract had also stated that if she succeeded in accomplishing the mission, he would free her from his clutch, get her divorce final and then let her spend her life as she wanted. She couldn't obviously ruin that option, and she could do nothing but succumb to her father's demand.

After the ceremony, she had seen Ben going to another compartment of the church with Sanjeev. Maybe, they had a deal of their own, she didn't really care about that. The tight saree was torturing her body, making it hard to breathe. Sanjeev had insisted she wear this so that she'd look a bit attractive. Well, her father had told her a tonne of times that she wasn't attractive much, that she wouldn't ever be able to lure a man.

She didn't want to. She was an asexual person.

Truly, she wasn't.

It was a lie her father had conjured up to force Ben further into this marriage. Her father already had him about his neck about a project, and to force him more, he had simply told him that he had to marry her for namesake, as she was an asexual. It was a lie, yet it was her fate.

She cared about nothing. Sexual, or asexual, she couldn't care less about any made up shit Sanjeev had told him or others. Her freedom mattered more to her. She didn't pay heed to the rumours or lies. She stood there on the stage, alone, noticing the minister going inside for some work.

Shalini approached her. "Beta, take care, okay?" The woman had tears in her eyes. 

"Yes, Maa. I will," She wanted to cry as she knew she had to leave her mother behind.

"Don't let him torture you." The woman mentioned Ben.

She chuckled, sardonically. No person could torture her more than her own father had. "It's okay, Maa. I'll be fine, I promise."

For some reason or not, Sarah knew from the first day that Ben wasn't like her father. Sanjeev wasn't a man, he lacked the basic skills of a human being, but Ben? He seemed uncannily genuine, a much more softer person. Technically, he was a stranger, yet there was something she had noticed about him the day he had come to meet her. His eyes were soft, kind, not cruel like her father's shallow ones.

Within a few minutes after her own thoughts had jotted up in one certain corner of her cerebral cortex, she saw Ben and Sanjeev coming out of the compartment and then approaching towards her, shaking their hands. Probably agreeing onto something.

Ben looked at her, and then gave her a forced smile. "Let's go, S-sarah."

She could experience a shudder running through him, and then she let it go, nodding her head. "Yeah," she spoke as fearlessly as possible.

He went ahead, not bearing to look back if she was coming. She turned around, passing a smile at her mother and then staring through the shallowness of her father, his mouth in a line of untainted joy. He was happy finally, wasn't he? He looked through her, and she automatically gave a small cry of fear and then immediately turned again, following her husband outside. It was her reality now.

She came out of the church, her mind swirling with emotions. Gripping her saree tightly in her fists, she trod down the cemented stairs, only to find Ben asking the servants to help with the luggage. She saw her suitcases being toppled into his car's dickey, and fear made her body freeze like ice. She was going to another house, most importantly, a stranger's house.