Chapter Forty Six

Sarah burst out in tears the moment she realised that she had left Ben behind. She shrunk into the backseat of Sanjeev's car. That man didn't deserve to be called a father. She should've decided that sooner. She didn't give him the papers, she didn't betray Ben. Nonetheless, her fate had other plans. Instead of letting her leave his life in peace, she had been forced to see hate in his eyes. Hate for her.

She silenced her tears. Sanjeev was driving the car with a gruesome expression. "Why did you lie?"

She shivered. His voice contained that same animosity she had always experienced. She didn't budge. "It. Was. Not. A. Lie."

"So, you meant to say that these papers self-mailed themselves to me?" He gave a chuckle, one that resounded throughout the car.

"I don't know."

"Don't fly, dear daughter. You know I can cut your wings, don't you?"

His sneer didn't make her feel scared. She was rather surprised at the bulk of resonating courage she was feeling; it bubbled inside her like lava. "I would like to see you try, Papa. And even if you cut my wings, you can't trap me anymore. I'm free."

Sanjeev shook his head. "You're hallucinating! You're going back to Mehra Manor and then, as for your punishment that you've begged from me, I'm gonna give you to Abraham, this is just the start of your entrapment!"

She wanted to laugh fanatically, but didn't. Her father was a fool, wasn't he? She couldn't be trapped anymore. She was free! Couldn't he understand? She was no longer his to entrap. She belonged to the most wonderful, beautiful, amazing person in the world, she belonged to Benedict. And as long as she was his, she was free. She was like a bird, soaring high with the help of his love. Nothing could stop her now.

"I'm free, Papa. His love has freed me. And as for my punishment, I've decided that I'll accept it. Because I've lost the only thing that matters to me. Freedom, now, seems stupid. But, yes, that Sarah is gone was scared of you, my silent rebellion is over. You do not scare me now, and I will not rebel anymore."

She didn't know what but something definitely had come over her. He was taken aback by the way she had coldly set forward her words. She saw him flinch, and she thought he was gonna burst out, instead, he fell silent. He seemed...shocked, agitated. She felt good, so good. She sighed, a little burden loosening from her chest. But most of her heart pained, it pained so very badly.

She wanted to jump from the moving car and run. She wanted to rush back to her husband. But, she couldn't. He hated her and it was justified. She had hurt him, she had struck him at his weakest point, she had lied and deceived him just like his mom. But, she didn't betray him, she never thought of harming him. The car halted and fresh tears streamed down her face. She got down, the familiar feeling of sorrow penetrating her being.

Mehra Manor stood in front of her just like it had been a month ago; stone-cold, sad and atrocious. The house reflected every ounce of her father's ruthlessness and cruelty. A chill swung through her spine and then into her bones. She had gotten back here. She had promised herself that she wouldn't come back to this place, that's why she had accepted her father's offer.

What she didn't plan was falling in love with the person she was supposed to betray. She had been reluctant to hurt someone, to lie to someone but she had thought it would be easy, she had thought that the groom her father had selected for her would be just like him; cold and cruel. It would've been easier, she thought with a sigh.

Instead, he was the most angelic person she had ever met. And he had changed her from within. She still remembered what he had said to her in the first days of her marriage; he had said that freedom was subjective, that it meant differently to different people. For someone, freedom was being with their family, for someone, it was to achieve their dreams, for someone, it meant reaching for the sky, for someone it meant rooting to the earth. She held her breath as a cry shuddered inside of her. The meaning of freedom for her had been leaving this house, and living life on her own terms. That was until she had met him.