Chapter Forty Seven

Ben felt someone had pushed open his heart and shattered it into countless pieces. She was in front of him, crying and wallowing. He had no idea what he was doing here. He had come here in a trance, and in a desperate attempt to see her once. This morning, he was forced to shout at her. He had wanted to tell her that he believed everything she said, but it would've destroyed the plan.

What was the plan? He didn't wanna think about that right now.

He wanted to touch her, see her beautiful face. He advanced towards her, ignoring the pain in his right leg. In a fit to see her, he had been forced to wrap this black hooded disguise and climb up the window. Thank God, she kept her window open. He didn't know which was her room so he had climbed up the roof and had peaked in all the rooms on the second floor. He knew her room was upstairs considering when he had first come here to meet her, she had descended down the staircase.

He had found this corner room and his heart just knew this was where she was. When he entered through the window, he saw her leaning against the door, crying and whimpering. She seemed dizzy. Was she sick? He had touched her shoulder and the moment she had turned around, he had been feeling an extreme sense of guilt. She looked so depressed, so miserable.

He was miserable without her, too.

"What do you --- mean --- you knew everything from the start?" Her question brought him back to reality.

He sighed, touching her waist in a sensuous grip. "I--I, basically--"

"Ben? Do you know everything?"

"Yes."

She stilled to a stop. "How?"

He shook his head, tightening his grip on her waist. "Listen, wifey, before I tell you everything, I want to hear the truth, your truth. Will you tell me that?"

"Don't you know that, too?" She frowned.

"I do, but I just wanna make sure what I know is absolutely correct. Please, baby, don't hide anything from me."

He watched her body quiver, then her eyes shifted from sad to passionate, and she cupped his face. "I married you just to get my hand on the papers and Papa had asked me to give them to him, in exchange--"

"For?"

"Freedom." She whispered, tears staining her cheeks.

He didn't need to ask her anything. Word by word, he understood each and every emotion she was feeling. He took her face in his hands, grazing his thumb on her lips. "I get it. I knew you wouldn't do this just because of money."

"You knew? Ben, honestly, you believe me, right? I--I didn't give him the papers, I promise, please believe me." She was writhing in his arms and crying.

"Ssshhh, baby! Be quiet. If I didn't believe you, I wouldn't have come here!" He smiled at her and she smiled back, hesitantly.

She seemed calmer. "Then---how did the papers reach Papa?"

"It didn't."

"What?"

"The papers that reached Sanjeev are fake, my love."

She staggered back with shock and her eyes got big and wide with bewilderment. "Huh?"

He chuckled, seeing her face get pale. "It's true."

"So, where are the original papers? Believe me, Ben, I don't have them...I had forgotten about them, but two days ago, I suddenly remembered and I couldn't find them anymore...I promise,"

He was getting tired of this crying. Seeing her like this broke his heart into million pieces. "Baby, I believe you! It was an act, okay? Listen, don't cry...don't cry, baby. I know you don't have the original one."