Chapter 22

Aegon Targaryen ~ Council Meeting

"The Great Games. It's being used as an ambush, Your Grace," Varys says. It is just as we expected. Everyone aside from Tyrion is not surprised by the news. You could almost say that they are relaxed. Varys quirks an eyebrow at our reactions. "By the looks of it, you already knew of the plan made by the Harpies," Varys points out.

Daenerys nods. "We suspected it, yes. It is why we have turned it into an ambush of our own. Any news about who is behind the group?" Daenerys asks. "I haven't heard the song yet, my queen. It won't be long until it will reach me," he says. "It's disturbing that you call children 'little birds', Varys. Please find another name for them. Also, make sure they are treated well," I state. Varys slightly bows his head. "As you wish, Your Grace."

"Lord Tyrion?" Daenerys says as she turns her gaze to him. Tyrion sets down his cup. "Meereen is slowly rebuilding itself. It requires a bit more time, but trade and commerce have returned in some parts," he says. "Good. Daario are your men prepared? The Games start in two days," she asks. Daario nods as he sits nonchalantly in the chair. "They know what to do, Your Grace. There's nothing to worry about," he says. Daenerys lips turn in a small smile. Clearly, she is pleased with the progress and the direction Meereen is going in.

"Everything is going well. I am glad to hear it. If any new developments arise, please inform us. Daario, I'd like a word please," she says. The rest stand up from their seat and walk out of the room. "Do you have need of me, Daenerys?" I ask. She smiles at me as she shakes her head slightly. "No, it won't take long. You don't have to stay." I stand up from my chair. "Alright, I'll be with Rhaella. See you soon." Daenerys nods.

As I left the room, I am met by Barristan. It seems he was waiting for me. "Your Grace," he greets me. "Barristan, something I can do for you?" I ask. "No, are you going to the princess?" I nod and we start to walk. "I like to talk to you, if I may." I glance at Barristan for a moment. He does not look stressed or tense. "You always can. I'm not a king that wants people to stay at a distance Barristan. Speak your mind. And please call me Aegon or Alex" I say. Barristan nods, a small smile adorns his face.

"I like to thank you, Alex. Daenerys has become a good ruler. It makes me feel the same when I served under Jaehaerys II. You and Daenerys will bring great things to Westeros in its greatest time of need," Barristan says, not a trace of a lie or doubt can be heard. I smile and place a hand on his shoulder.

"That's very kind of you to say, Barristan. I am glad to have known you and feel honored that you fight for us," I say and open the door of my room. "There is something I want to ask you Barristan. We need a fully operational Queensguard. There is only one person that I can trust to gather the best and most loyal persons. Can I entrust this task to you?" I ask as I approach Rhaella. She is sleeping peacefully and breathing softly.

"I'd be honored, Alex. It will take time before I have found suitable candidates," he says. I nod and turn to look at him again. "That is fine. I want one person on it and she is in Westeros. She is Brienne of Tarth, an excellent warrior and soon to be a knight."

"A woman can't be a knight, Alex. It is not done," Barristan points out. "It's time we change that then. All those that are talented and gifted should be treated without any difference. No matter their gender. Best remember that Barristan," I state sternly but respectfully. Barristan sighs but nods. "As you command, Alex. I will start looking for candidates." Barristan bows and leaves the room. I look at Rhaella again. She is looking at me with eyes that hold a curiosity.

I smile and pick her up. Her lips turn slowly into a smile. "My little girl, I will make sure you have the best life I can provide for you," I promised while pressing a kiss on her forehead. "We can provide, love. Don't forget about me," Daenerys chuckles. "I couldn't even if I tried," I say, smiling at Daenerys. She stands next to me, a hand gently stroking the head of Rhaella. "We will be happy, Alex."