Chapter 44

Aegon Targaryen

This keep is splendid. Red brick and stone form the palace. No money was spared in it design or in its decorations. High-quality furniture fills the rooms, and most exotic flowers would be blooming here if it weren't for the approaching winter.

Winter. It is coming and one does not only feel it in the air or in the cold morning. The keep is preparing. Wood is brought in, as is coal, warm clothing, and other material to make life pleasant and warm for the inhabitants. Daenerys ordered not to be too extravagant, as she wants to equally share with the population. Winter is not only dangerous for the rich and powerful, after all.

In the keep, I stand on one of the many training grounds. It is to pass the time to await the arrival of our children and Barristan. But also to teach Tyrys the sword. I may not be as good as Barristan, but I can handle it well enough to teach someone. With one hand I hold a practice sword while the other moves around to help guide my attacks. "Watch your footwork, Tyrys! You must be nimble and fluent in your movements," I point out as we practice spar.

Daenerys looks from the sides as she looks intently at us. Her hands clasped together as if she watches an intense football game. Tyrys puts one foot forward and thrust his sword towards me. I swiftly dodge to the side and hit his wrist. A yelp leaves Tyrys as the wooden sword falls to the ground.

"Alex! Be careful, you're hurting him..." Daenerys says with worry. "Are you alright, Tyrys?" I ask as I lower myself to his eye level. A sigh leaves him as he nods. "Yes, I just want to become as good as I possibly can. To protect my new family," he says softly. I smile and give him a warm hug. "I am happy that you accept us as family, Tyrys. You have no idea. Practice and you will become the best! No one is good until they train themselves silly. Trust me on that," I assured him.

I push myself up. "We have been training for a while. Let's leave it at this for now. We'll continue tomorrow." Tyrys nods as he picks up his training gear to put it away. I walk towards Daenerys.

"Dany, I know you're worried when I hit him, but it is necessary, or he won't learn. You know that I am very careful. I have no desire to wound him. There is no need to be worried about his safety," I say reassuringly. Daenerys sighs deeply as her eyes close for a moment. "I know, I know, but... my mother's instinct kicks in, you know. I want my children safe, which includes Tyrys now," she says.

I sit next to her as my arm warmly surrounds her. "I know, we should go to the port soon. Our other children will arrive very soon. Ah, I missed the yelling of the twins," I say with a chuckle. "Ugh, I hate it that I feel the same way. I hope Rhaella managed to get through the weeks without us," Daenerys says with a giggle.

"I am sure she did. Rhaella is caring and has a good head on her shoulders. She will have managed, maybe she lost a few hours of sleep though," I chuckled. Daenerys smiles. "I am so proud of her. She will be an excellent queen in the future."

"Is that how it works? I thought only men could inherit the throne," I pondered. Daenerys shrugs. "That's what people thought and follow, but I will change it. It will be like Dorne. The firstborn will inherit, no matter the gender. I will make it law," Daenerys says. I press a kiss on her cheek. "Very well."

Tyrys walks back to us with a smile. "Aegon, Daenerys, shall we go?" Tyrys asks. Daenerys smiles brightly as she takes hold of my arms and the hand of Tyrys. "Of course! I am sure they will arrive very soon."

We stand on the harbor reserved for the royal family and high ranking visitors. There are two ships coming our way. One wears the Targaryens colors. Black and a red three-headed dragon. The other wears the symbol of house Stark. It seems Jon has arrived, like Tyrion said when we passed him on our way to the dock.