Cut Deep And Leaves A Scar

Anakin's P.O.V.

"Ani... Ani?"

I lift my head up from Vale's hand and find her opening her eyes. She's laying on a medical bed in the Jedi Temple's halls of healing. I'm sitting on a chair beside her bed, holding her hands with one metal and one flesh hand.

Obi-Wan, Padme and I have been taking shifts on watching her. All of us have been waiting for her to wake up. Obi-Wan's been with the Jedi Council for hours now from their request and Padme's with the Chancellor while I've been watching over Vale.

Vale looks around, confused about how she got here before her eyes come to mine. I try smiling at her, but it still causes her to sit up in alarm. After Count Dooku escaped, a squadron of clones came to our aid.

They flew us back to Coruscant and brought us to the halls of healing to treat Obi-Wan, Vale, Padme and my wounds. Obi-Wan, Padme and I got released the day we got here; my Master and Padme got a few patch ups, and I got a robotic hand attached to my arm. Vale's been here over a day from the medic droids doing tests and treatments on her.

They won't tell Obi-Wan, Padme, or me about the verdict until she wakes up. Only the council knows what's going on with her and they clearly stated they won't be revealing anything without Vale's consent. Vale glances at my robotic hand holding her and frowns. When her face softens, I see everything coming back to her from Geonosis.

"Obi-Wan..." She mumbles like she needs something to drink. "Where's Obi-Wan?"

"He's with the council right now." I smile lightly at her and rub my thumb against the back of her hand. "Vale... Master Yoda and Windu granted you two the rank of Jedi Masters."

"They did?" She frowns before asking slowly. "Did we stop Count Dooku?"

"He got away..."

I mumble and lower my head, remembering the sight of him running into his ship and taking off. It becomes quiet between us from the defeat of letting him escape. In the next second, a medical droid rolls up in front of Vale's bed.

"Oh, good, you're awake... You've been asleep for 32 hours." The droid points out and I turn to face the droid, asking impatiently. "Is she going to be okay? Why haven't you discharged her yet?"

"Valera is in perfectly good health." The droid explains before looking to Vale and suggesting. "However, I need to inform you of what transpired while you were unconscious, Master Valera."

"O-Okay." Vale nods slowly for the droid to continue. I can tell she's still out of it from just waking. I watch the droid, waiting for him to continue when he looks at me, asking politely. "Would you mind giving me a moment with Master Valera?"

"It's fine. He can stay." Vale speaks up again while moving herself into a better sitting position. She moves so her feet are off the bed and she's sitting up on her own while asking tiredly. "What transpired?"

"Master Valera... You had a miscarriage."

My eyes go wide, realizing Dooku was telling the truth. My mouth hangs in shock at why they kept her for a day, giving no one a reason. I watch the droid as he explains in the most gentle voice a droid can give.

"We did all we could to save the baby. I'm so sorry for your lose-"

"No... No, no, no, no..."

Vale cries out, and I turn to her while standing up from my chair. I see tears pouring out of her eyes as her face goes red from the news. She lets out a loud frustrated heartbreaking weep and, without thinking, I sit on her bed and pull her to my chest.