Some Things Never Change

Vale's P.O.V.

"Stay back!" I thrust my spear, snapping. "Back! Back!"

The two crimson red Nighthunters gradually circle around me. I'm turning haltingly to keep my eyes on both of them. The snow white Nighthunter is slowly circling around me further away than the other two.

I have a dagger pointed at one and my spear aimed at another. The audience is intently watching me, waiting to see if the creatures or me will strike first. The ringleader, the snow white Nighthunter, is glancing around the arena as if wanting a way out of here.

"You and me both, snowflake." I blurt out as the snow white Maalraas when sensing her want to escape. "Maybe if you don't kill me, I'll bring you three along with me. How does that sound, marshmallow?"

The white Nighthunter peers at me then when hearing me call her a name. For a moment, I doubt trying to communicate with them is a good idea. Feeling in the force that one Nighthunter plans to come closer, I snap my head to him and bark out in an aggressive tone.

"Don't try it. I'm warning you."

By the looks of all three of them, I can tell they are unsure about me. They can sense I'm force sensitive just like they are, but they've probably never felt it from someone outside their Maalraas pack. They're hesitant about what to do, yet sense the audience wanting them to attack me.

In the next second, I sense the other red Maalraas move to pounce on me. Turning my head, I swing my dagger at him. He moves back a step and I hear the other one growl.

Just as I turn my head to the other red Nighthunter, the other across from me leaps into the air. I raise my spear just as it lands on top of me. I fall to the ground as the creature opens its jaw and I push the spear between his mouth to keep him from biting me.

The crowd erupts in cheers as the Nighthunter and I push at the spear between us. Groaning, I use all my strength to keep his head away from mine by pushing against the spear. Seconds later, I watch the Nighthunter snap his mouth shut with the spear's pole still between its jaw.

I don't hesitate to let go of the spear and spin on the ground away from the creature. Standing up, I see the Maalraas snap the metal pole in half and toss it to the side. Backing away from him, I glance at the other two staring at me intensely.

"Hey, tell your boys to back off!" I spit out at the female white Nighthunter. "We all want the same thing."

They're testing me; seeing what I'll do if provoked by one of them. None of them seem hungry or have the need to kill. However, I detect an emotion of protection between the three.

The other crimson red Nighthunter then sprints toward me. Clenching onto my dagger, my last weapon, I stand in place waiting for the right moment. When it's a foot away from me at running speed, I turn so it misses me and stab him in the side.

When the Maalraas passes me, he slows his running pace into a walk and loops around to face me. The dagger is still at his side and I see him pull it out with his mouth and drop it to the ground. He shows no reaction to pain and I take in a deep breath in alarm.

All three have their eyes on me and casually stride towards me. Raising my hands out towards each crimson red Maalraas, I use the force to hold them back from coming closer to me. They're pulling at the force restraints by using their own force abilities, and it becomes difficult for me to keep them in place.

They growl and snap their heads toward me, trying to get free from my hold. My gaze is on the snow white Nighthunter, who's still shuffling towards me. I feel my hold on the two red Nighthunters become weaker as the third one gets closer.