I'm Asking

Vale's P.O.V.

"A job well done, Master Jedi."

My father nods at me proudly, with a smile on his face. Obi-Wan, Anakin, and I just returned to Coruscant with the Duchess safely delivered. My father is here on the docking bay to greet us and the senators from Mandalore.

"Thanks, dad."

I offer him a crooked smile as he brings me into a hug. He kisses my temple and out of the corner of my eye; I see Obi-Wan trying to hide his annoyance from my father's affection. When we pull away, my father speaks up again to Kenobi.

"And thank you for bringing my daughter home. If anyone can get her back to Coruscant, it would be you."

"Of course, Chancellor."

Obi-Wan nods at him and walks over to the side as the senators come out of our ship. It's now my turn to be aggravated by my father's words and Obi-Wan's civility. As I walk to Anakin's side, I hear him say to my father.

"Your excellency."

Once all three of us stand off to the side, we watch the Senators greet my father as he escorts them away from the docking bay. I standing beside Anakin while Obi-Wan is on the other side of him. I've been doing my best to make minimum exchanges with Kenobi since we rescued the duchess from Tal Merrik.

Though, I must admit I've noticed Anakin's concern and Obi-Wan's defeated glances toward me. Both Anakin and Obi-Wan have been trying to get me to act how I used to act around them. Yet, I haven't risked it from the fear of where it will lead me.

To make matters worse, I now know the feelings Obi-Wan and Satine share. I don't even want to think about how they feel toward one another since I know their future is more possible than mine and Obi-Wan's future. Satine and Obi-Wan can have kids if they wanted, while that will never happen to me.

"How ironic to meet again only to find we're on opposing sides."

I hear the duchess's voice and when I look up; I see her walking towards Obi-Wan. Taking in a deep breath, I try to stay calm as I cross my arms over my chest. Anakin nudges me lightly on the shoulder, trying to lighten my mood before it can get worse.

"The needs of your people are all that matter." Kenobi speaks up in a polite tone. "They couldn't be in better hands with you to guide their future."

"Kind words indeed from a mindful and committed Jedi." I watch Satine smile before lifting her hand. "And yet..."

"What?" He asks genuinely curious while tilting his head. Her fingers graze his bread before pointing out in a light tone. "I'm still not sure about the beard."

"Why?" I watch Kenobi blurt out, confused and almost nervous. "What's wrong with it?"

"It hides too much of your handsome face."

She grins before resting her hand on his cheek. My eyes stay dead on her without blinking. I can feel my eye twitching as I watch her turn and walk away from him. Staring holes in her back, I mumble to Anakin in all seriousness.

"Can I kill her?"

"Not in public, V..." Anakin answers casually from my side while crossing his hands over his chest. "Not in public."

"In that case, I'll see you around then." I announce, not wanting to linger around here any longer. Turning to face him, I pat his shoulder, commenting in a bored tone. "... But don't try looking for me. I won't be there."

"What? What does that mean?"

He frowns in confusion, but I don't respond. I only turn and walk towards the Jedi Temple. Without acknowledging Obi-Wan as I leave the docking bay, I think of how quickly I can set up a mission to leave this system. I don't even have to check up on my squad to know they'll be ready to go when I am.