A Change Of Heart

Padme's P.O.V.

"Really?" I blurt out in utter relief, with a smile crossing my face. "Did you convince her?"

"No..." Anakin answers while changing his clothes. "I think Obi-Wan did, though."

I'm sitting on our bed in my apartment in Coruscant. Anakin's changing into his sleep attire by the dresser. He's just come back to spend the night when he told me the good news that Vale decided to stay at the Jedi Temple.

"That's even better." I comment with wide eyes as I brush the knots out of my hair. "Does this mean they're together again?"

It's been a few days since Ani's come back from his mission with Vale and Obi-Wan. When I heard he saw Vale again, I asked him all about her since I hadn't seen her since the Battle on Geonosis. He told me everything he could about how Vale's doing, but it was only tonight he informed me she hadn't left Coruscant.

There's a feeling of hurt that my old best friend hasn't come to see me, but I won't let that bring me down from hearing the news. Everyone who knows Vale has been hoping she would be more involved with the Jedi Council and the Temple. With where the galaxy is heading, the Jedi Order could use more of Vale, not less.

"Vale... Is different now."

Anakin answers me slowly as he thinks about Obi-Wan and Vale. I hear him let out a sigh as he sticks his shoes by the bedroom door. When turning to look at me, he frowns and admits what's been on his mind.

"I don't think Vale and Obi-Wan will ever be the same again."

"... Ani..." I smile simply at him and shake my head. "Of course, they'll never be the same. Who would be after losing a child then getting thrown into a war? That doesn't mean they won't find their way back to each other."

"You didn't see them on our last mission, Padme."

Anakin mumbles while thinking about his mission to escort the Duchess of Mandalore here. I watch him in concern, knowing he's thought a lot about his old Master and friend. Vale's the closest thing we have to an older sister yet, I suspect we both see her differently in a way.

"By the looks of it..." Anakin tilts his head while coming up to me. "Vale has no intention of caring for Obi-Wan like she once did."

"Oh, please." I frown while standing up and setting my brush down on the dresser. "I don't buy that for one second."

Vale and I go back way before Anakin ever met her. I might not know Vale like Anakin knows her in the Jedi Order, but I know the little girl and the grown woman in Vale. There was a time Vale and I shared everything together, no matter what our status was.

I know her probably better than anyone in the world, even Obi-Wan and her father. Sure, we haven't talked in over a year, but before we shared everything. We knew each like the back of our hand, and I know Vale loves with her whole heart.

Going to the bed, I unmake it for us while thinking back in time. I smile, remembering when Vale stayed on Naboo with Master Windu for her training. Back then, Vale admired Obi-Wan like he was the only boy in the world.

"Ani, just because you don't see Vale caring for Obi-Wan doesn't mean it's not there anymore."

I send Anakin a look and he lets out a breath in defeat while helping me unmake our bed for the night. Behind close doors, we've talked about Vale and Obi-Wan's relationship out of caring for them as family. We both know how deep their love for each other runs; we're probably the only one who the extent of it.

"I mean... Come on, that girl's heart beats for Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's literally everything to her." Smiling at how Vale used to talk about him, I shrug my shoulders as if my next words are factual. "I mean, that man turns her world."