Love Only Left Us Alone

Vale's P.O.V.

"How could you do something like that without telling me?"

"It's for the best, Kenobi."

"For who?" I hear Obi-Wan snap while keeping up with my fast pace. "For the Jedi Order?"

I'm rushing down the hall after leaving a meeting with the council. Obi-Wan's right on my trail, baffled by what I said in the meeting. Anakin has gone to a hangar to take Padme back to Naboo.

No one's in the hall we're in, mostly because there are so few of us now. Everyone who's still alive from the battle of Geonosis is with the Clone Army or with the Senate. All the younglings are in their sector of the Jedi Temple.

"Yes, for the Jedi Order!"

I snap right back at him without looking his way. All I can think about is how my miscarriage was my fault. Obi-Wan and I should have never gotten together in the first place.

Who were we to think we could have a child in the time we're living in? Better yet, how could we believe we'd be able to leave the Jedi Order? The Council needs us so much that didn't even bat their eyes when they found out I was pregnant.

I should be expelled and yet they let me stay; how could they not though? The Clone Wars has begun. Count Dooku is leading the Separatists and the Republic we once knew is slowly fading. Not only that, but they believe I'm the chosen one after all that I have proven not to be.

"You still should have asked me before you had the surgery, Valera!"

Obi-Wan argues in a loud voice because I still have not looked at him. When I finally do, I see him livid with our situation. I understand completely, but after all I've endured, I won't give him sympathy.

"Why in the blazes would I ask you?" I shout right back at him in the hall. "It was my choice and my choice alone! I thought you would at least be understanding of my decision!"

"Of course I understand why you did it, but that doesn't make it right!" He yells through the hall while raising his hands in resentment. "Just because we had a miscarriage doesn't mean I didn't want to have a child with you anymore!"

"Are you kidding me?" I blurt out in shock as my eyes go wide at his confession. "I should have never been pregnant to begin with! If we actually tried for another baby, it would end same as this one did!"

"You don't know that!" Obi-Wan argues while looking away from me and trying to calm himself down. He pushes back his long hair out of his face as he tries to think. Covering his eyes, he mumbles, trying to hold himself together. "If you didn't get that surgery... We would still at least have a chance."

"A chance at what? Look around, Obi-Wan." I announce and wave my arms in the empty hall. "Half of the Jedi Order is dead, the Republic and Separatists are going to war!" I come up to him and make him look me in the eye as I let out a hollow laugh. "We can't risk me being pregnant with everything going on! We should have never filled our heads with the ridiculous idea we would leave the Jedi Order!"

"It wasn't ridiculous! We could have!" He spits out, just as frustrated as I am, making me shake my head, smiling in defeat. Pushing my hair back, I try holding in my expression as I state in twisted humor. "How? Obi-Wan, how? We lost the baby as soon as we realized we had one. That brief fantasy of us leaving and raising a child will never happen!"

"It won't now because of what you've done!"

"It was never going to happen! Don't you see! We have been so blind in our feelings!" I declare, feeling tears entering my gaze as I try to get him to see what I do. "This is exactly why it's forbidden to love! It blinded us from reality and made us believe we can have more!"