« ♡ » Chapter 28 - The Promise

"-And right when I thought I was done for, she reached through to the other side of the cell and slammed the guard's head against the bars!" Trevor exclaimed, and everybody laughed heartily.

"It was so loud that I could barely believe none of the other guards heard it," Flare added, taking a sip of the drink she had. Reef, Marcie, Brandy, Trevor and James were sitting with her at a table in the mess hall.

"That's not even the worst part," Trevor continued. "Then she pulled out a ring of cell keys from earlier like it was nothing!" Everyone laughed again.

"God, I seriously can't believe you, sometimes," Reef said lightheartedly, nudging (Y/n) before taking a drink himself.

"You have to admit that it made you respect me more, though, right?" (Y/n) asked.

"I mean, if we have to get technical..." Trevor trailed off and the table began to chuckle again.

"Do you have any stories from when you were inside the castle, Flare?" Marcie asked, and everyone turned to look at (Y/n) who was halfway through taking another sip.

"Yeah, I bet you've got plenty! Enlighten us!" Reef gestured towards her with his drink.

(Y/n) swallowed the mouthful slowly and lowered her cup. "Um... It wasn't that interesting, honestly. Being stuck in a cell gets pretty boring, am I right?" Flare tried to laugh it off, nudging Trevor who laughed lightly as well.

"The General told us you weren't in the dungeon when he was thrown in?" Reef pointed out innocently.

"Yeah, were you making an escape attempt, too?" Marcie asked.

"O-Oh, yeah, I was. Not fast enough, though. James was lucky enough to make it out." She took another quiet sip from her drink.

"Did you see The King at all? Were you interrogated by his henchmen?" Brandy asked somewhat solemnly, and everyone turned to Flare with wide, expectant eyes.

"Yeah, I... spoke to The King a few times. Mostly to be interrogated. I met all of The Big Three, actually." She said nonchalantly. Everyone looked shocked and somewhat amazed.

"I honestly don't understand how you made it out of there alive, Flare, but boy am I glad you did," Brandy took another drink from her glass.

"What do you mean?" Flare put her drink down on the table.

"I mean... The Big Three are pretty brutal individually, but you met all of them?" Trevor seemed to voice everyone's thoughts.

"Yeah, especially The King. I'm not sure how you left without any injuries," Reef added. "I've heard that the Irish one is pretty sadistic and enjoys torturing humans. Then again, what demon doesn't?" he continued sarcastically, and most of the table nodded in agreement.

"Well... I wouldn't say that Anti is quite as savage as people make him out to be," Flare began to elaborate before being cut off.

"'Anti'? Are you referring to Antisepticeye?" Brancy scrunched up her nose slightly. "Why would you refer to him like he was your friend? Man, they really did brainwash you in that castle," she joked, and everyone else laughed.

"W-Well I mean, how can we be sure that demons are so bad in the first place?" (Y/n) faked a laugh to make her statement seem lighthearted. She looked over to James briefly but looked away just as quickly. He was seeing right through her but said nothing.

"What?" Reef gave her a confused look.

"I think you might have bumped your head during your escape," Trevor laughed somewhat warily.