Chapter 16.5

2 years before current times

Techno Pov:

I let out a groan as I hear footsteps just outside the room. I slowly put pressure onto my hands to pull myself into a sitting position. I turn my head slightly to see Ranboo looking out the window, now somehow (I legit have no idea how) tall enough to look out of the window. He used to have to stand on top of bricks to look out the high placed window, now he's taller than me.

"Stars aren't gonna magically appear, kid." I lean my back against the wall as I watch as the boy whines. Not sure if it's towards my comment or that fact I called him kid. To be fair I saw him as one up until a few months ago.

"It could happen though!" He declares, he's been hoping for that for years.

"Kid, I've told you before. There's nothing in the galaxy of The End, so you're not gonna see any stars."

He turns his body towards me, his eyes closed but his head tilted in a way that showed his confusion. "What do you mean?"

I sigh as I ready myself for the same conversation I've had hundreds of times before, with the same forgetful person. "A star is a ball of gas that happens to glow-"

"I glow!" He lifts his hands and that weird purple smoke flows out of them. "Does that make me a star?!" He asks excitedly.

"You glow but you're not a ball of gas."

"But I can be one." He says with a sly smile.

I shake my head and decide to continue my explanation. "Stars are just the image we see of these balls of gas. They're far up in the galaxy of the overworld. But, The End doesn't have a galaxy-"

"How do you know all this stuff?" He interrupts, most likely bored of my explanation already.

"My old roommate taught me a lot before he passed. A lot about the books he read when we weren't seen as animalistic beings."

"What are books?"

"It's a bundle of paper that hold the knowledge of anything you want."

"Anything I want?"

"I mean most likely-"

"Do you think a book could have all my memories? I forget things a lot, I don't know if you've noticed." Nope, haven't noticed it one bit. A loud clicking noise echoes through the room, doors are resetting. -

[I came up with this idea recently but there's a break in the locking system in The Prison. Every 24 hours the doors unlock and the passwords for the doors change, because the humans don't fully trust mutant guards. The doors lock after only 5 seconds. This helps explain two plot points in this story lol, one being that Ranboo used it as a way to keep track of how many days have passed.]

-Ranboo quickly walks to the wall. He places his sharp long claw against the wall and pulls it down, making another mark in the wall.

"Ever gonna count those, kid?" I ask as I scan the marks that filled a quarter of the wall.

"No need."

"And why is that?"

"I've been here for approximately..." He stops talking for a moment. "A year." He nods his head proudly. [He's been there for a year and 9 months, close.]

"It's felt like a millennia that I've had to deal with you."

"That's a little mean-."

Click. Step.

I'm on my feet in no time. I stand between Ranboo and the door as the door is pulled open. I close my eyes tightly as artificial light stab into my irises.

Step, step.

I slowly open my eyes and try to focus on what's in front of me. I see a silhouette in the doorway of the cell.

"T-techno?" Ranboo stammered from behind me.

Slam. Click.

The door closes roughly, my vision goes blurry as they attempt to work in the near darkness again. "Who are you?" I ask the new person in the room.

"I'm Clay, you're new roommate."

"Clay? Like the material?" I ask as I remember back to what that old man had taught me. [I feel the need to clarify that this old man isn't Philza. :D Just a random elder hybrid.]

"Okay- was that necessary to say?" He laughs, he walks closer to me, and now that my eyes are back to normal I can actually see him. "Oh, there's someone else?"

I look back towards Ranboo, he didn't really look scared. In fact, his tail swinging side to side is a clear indicator of the opposite. I step out of the way so Clay could see the young pre-teen that is taller than both of us. "This is-"

"Ranboo.." The blonde says. Now how the hell does he know that?

-

In between chapters I'm gonna post flashbacks (sometimes), just for some build up, background on characters, and random foreshadowing.