Chapter 17.5

A year before current time:

TechnoPov

I walk down the hall for what felt like the 1000th time in my lifetime. Slow footsteps, the whispers from the cells, the sound of wind hitting roughly against the metal building. It's always the same in The Prison, almost as if each day is repeating. That old man mentioned a myth like that, what was it? Groundhog day? Yeah that must be it.

"Techno!" I hear a shout echo down the hall. I turn and I see a blonde Elytrian at the end of the hall.

I quicken my footsteps over to my friend. "What's up, Phil?"

His smile grows as he simply turns on his heel and walks away from me. I follow him around the halls of section B. "I have a plan."

"Please, not this again Phil." I beg, he's talked so much of his plan of escape. "Even if you did manage to get out, there's no way out of this realm without going through the portal. You can't-"

"But what if I can get there, Techno?" The older asks, all too excitedly. "I have wings, Techno. What if I learn to fly?"

"Phil, it's illegal for you-"

"Not if I'm out, not if I'm out of these walls that have confined both of us for our whole lives."

"Phil you have seen what they do to Elytrians that learn to fly. Our fellow guardsmen had his wings cut off his back, do you really want that to happen to you?" He gives me a look, a look saying he's not gonna listen to my pleads. "Phil, I wish for you to reconsider-"

"I've thought about this since I was chosen to be a guard. Which was long before I even met you, when you were still so young. You're still young so I don't expect you to-"

"Phil, use your mind would you? There's no hope in getting out. We have been cursed to stay within these walls; to fall to humans will, that is our destiny in life. I don't know why you have the will to fight that."

"Techno, see the bigger picture. Once hybrids were seen as allies of the people, they lived in harmony and there was no ill will. Techno, I want to live in that time, where we weren't oppressed for what we were born as. I want that world, I want to go to a shop and smile at a human couple. I want to see hybrids and humans live and fall in love next to each other. Isn't that a life you want? Isn't that a life worth risking everything for?"

"You shouldn't give your life for a childish dream. That's a life we don't have the honor to long for. You're so blinded with the sunshine that you're not realizing that the only thing your plan will get you is killed."

"Good thing it's my life, I decide if I'm going to throw it away or not."

"Phil-"

He smiles towards me and places both of his hands on my shoulder, I note how he had to reach up to do this. "When are you going to admit that you just care about me?"

"You're being an idiot," He laughs lightly. "And attempting to change the subject."

He pulls his hands off my shoulders. "When I make it to the overworld I'm gonna make a rebellion. Go head to head with Schlatt himself."

"Phil." I scold, why am I scolding a 30 year-old?

"Don't worry your mind, kid."

"I'm not-"

"But I'm old?"

I let out a quick breathe, it coming out as more of a laugh. "You're something else, that's what you are." I place my own hands on his shoulders, mirroring him earlier. "What you are is one of my only friends. If you think I would allow my closest friend to let go of his threads of life, you know little about me."

"Come with me then, close friend." I look down to the concrete floor. I cannot leave Ranboo, I cannot leave him alone; he may go crazy if he was alone. "Yeah I know, you gotta look after that kid." Phil says with understanding, "You look after him, that's your responsibility. I have my own."

-

Then he was gone, the man that trained me was gone. The doors clicked unlocked, then he disappeared into the nothingness that was the sky of The End. He was off to take the first step towards his dream of peace. And, for some odd reason...I find myself wishing I followed into the darkness. That I blindly looked for the light with my friend, but I cannot change that now. All I must do is take care of Ranboo.

-

Sometimes I submit parts of my stories for my daily writing for my English class. You can imagine my shock and panic when my teacher asked where my story was being published. (The first 8 paragraphs of this chapter is what was submitted)