9. Problematic Parents

I sigh as I look up at the familiar snooty "somptueux steakhouse" sign in front of me, willing my brain to come up with a reason not to go have this dinner with my parents. Somehow, 'cough-cough I'm sick' doesn't seem like a good enough excuse for my parents to believe it.

I take a quick snap to send to the girls group chat.

can one of you please call me in 15 minutes and get me out of this? 🥲

Keilathebadassbitch: LOL fat chance. we both know what kasei would say if she'd stop ballet-ing around and check her phone for two mins! + I have to work ☹️

Erin💪🏻: ya & its wayy too busy in here for me to do that

UGH come onnnnn guysss

Kaseibabeiii👯‍♀️: first of all, keils is rude. I actually agree though. This is somethin you need to do! You got this!!

Erin💪🏻: u could say u got called into work, i kinda actually want to call u into work. How tf did both of you manage to stick me with just 1 server who likes to stay in just 1 corner, during dinner rush?!😤

Kaseibabeiii👯‍♀️: I'm coming in a couple hours, you'll survive.

Keilathebadassbitch: ya exactly, e. You're being a realll downer rn

Erin💪🏻: sry i don't rly care rn.. Get off ur phone and go check on table2 🤧

Keilathebadassbitch:🙄sorry bb i gtg but good luck!

I sigh and shove my phone into my stupid little clutch bag I got from Mom a while ago, probably as one of her subtle bribes to try to get her way. I look down at my preppy girl outfit right now, shorts with a matching blazer which unfortunately is a symbol that at least tonight she's won. However I know my mom will hate that I lost the kitten heels and threw on some converse instead. If that asshole didn't cut up my foot, maybe I'd be able to.

I take a deep breath in. "OK dakota. Getting pissed at the attractive stranger won't help you out right now."

I look acceptable enough, I just have to go in there being the perfect daughter, just sit pretty and play nice until the wine makes its way back a few times and they start talking about school. Hopefully things won't blow up in my face as badly as I expect them to. My alarm telling me its time jars me out of my thoughts.

"Shit." I mutter to myself. "I guess I have to go now. Can't be tardy."

"Hey there, welcome. What's the reservation name?" A familiar looking man in a tight suit says as I walk in.

I slide my sunglasses up onto my head. "Hey Adam."

"Dakota!" He grins. "Been a while, how's it going?"

"Broke up with the waste of time, moved in with Kasei, and started my own art business. Been pretty busy."

His eyes widen. "Wow yeah...and how much of that do the parents know?"

"Moving out." I smack my lips. "The rest is what this dinner is for."

"Lord." He gasps. "Well I'll come by with the alcohol whenever I get the chance. They arrived and sat at their table about 5 minutes ago, so good luck."

I force a smile. "Thanks."

A part of me hates that they're so predictable. This life may be secure, but only in the way that it's like a prison. Worker drones that work until they're burnt out then run off to the steakhouse to relax, or have a fancy dinner party to brag to all your friends about how excellent your life is. They want this future for me. Perfect housewife, pretending I'm not miserable and lonely everyday as my husband goes to the court and comes back with no energy for anything else, until friday rolls around and it's time to host another party. I can't believe they think it's perfect. $20 says Dad is wearing his grey suit, no tie as an illusion of being casual. Mom will wear some maxi dress and her signature black louboutins.